Bathroom En Suite - What to do?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LukeSki11, Sep 23, 2022.

1. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Hi All,

looking for some inspiration with our ensuite in the new house.

As per the photos, the shower is tucked away and the wall could be removed if necessary but annoyingly under the sink is the bulkhead to the stairs which makes the whole area a little frustrating and I dont know how to best utilise the space.

any ideas on whats best to do would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Photos

Attached Files:

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

need more photos tbf. Building a vanity unit over the bulkhead is the way to go, so you may have few options.

4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Upload some more photos and maybe a diagram. Diagram can very rough hand drawn but put some dimensions on it. Show where door etc are. How big is the bulkhead?

I wonder whether you could find a small L-shape or P-shape bath that would go (wrong-way) round the bulkhead. It wouldn’t matter if it didn’t fit the wall exactly as you could build in useful shelves in gaps.

5. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

oops didnt realise they didnt attach!

see photos

Attached Files:

6. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

The waste actually goes into the bulkhead, so there must be a small void right?

Attached Files:

7. Ad_g

Ad_g Active Member

It looks very similar to our guest en-suite (Barratt ~2001 build), but in our case the shower is in the corner as there is no bulkhead there, the shower is in the corner over the stairs. Some of the other houses of a similar design have it the way round you do.

Challenge is the drain for the shower, the tray is that high to get the drop on the pipe right round to the soil stack.

Try and have a look behind things as they will have used standard sized items, so there may be more space. As you say there must be some space behind the bulkhead under the sink. In our case there was a big void next to the shower so we could get a bigger tray in by moving the false wall.

For the toilet we used a back to wall one with a built in tank so takes up less space and makes that corner neater. Building the vanity into the corner and less levels should make it look a lot better too, needs some care and custom cutting of panels/worktops so builders just bodged it like you have.

Will see if I can find a before and after which shows what we did with a similar space all be it with the shower and sink reversed.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

it’s probably just a panel over the original. I would say that it will kick round and run behind the toilet to the stack.

If you can move the position of the door, then this potentially gives you more options.

9. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Door where the shower is do you mean?

10. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

I think i’ll remove the wall regardless , but yeah unsure on the bulkhead. I’m going to try strip everything out tomorrow so will post photos.
    Photos would be helpful! Finding it really difficult to find anything online ..

If the bulkhead is where the sink is then I guess a countop sink and storage above would be the obvious option?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

door into the bathroom

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Go on Pinterest, bathroom box room ideas or some such description.

13. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Update, so i got most of this bits out in the short time i had.. there was a small void , and just batten/plasterboard to create the area .. but now the open space as such, im not sure what to do!

Attached Files:

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What exactly do you want in the bathroom? Dedicated shower, or bath with a shower?

15. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Dedicated shower, ideally a walk in but not sure how possible that is.

I quite like the vanity sink/toilets combined but doesnt quite work the space, and leaves that unused space!

16. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Do you mean you want a wet room? If so, have you thought about how drainage will be organised?

Personally I wouldn’t have ripped out a fairly neat and useable en-suite without a definite plan on how to improve on it.

Unless you tell us what different you have in mind, I’m not sure you won’t end up just replicating what was there before.

17. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

I dont think so! Just something more modern all around.

it was always coming out because its so dated, so wanted to modernise it one way or another. And obviously we have a separate bathroom which makes this a but easier!