Mega Gas Usage query

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by rjmiller, Oct 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

Hi,

Hoping for some suggestions/advice please. All help appreciated. Strap in...

I live in a 2 bed apartment. There is 1 neighbour upstairs.

My energy usage is steady and low. I spend 6/7 nights away per month.

This week I submitted a reading from my gas meter. It was massive: over 400 units since my reading a month previously. (Equivalent, my statement tells me, to 16 quid a day.) It's simply not the case

Since I submitted that reading I've been taking daily readings and it appears to be back to normal, having used 2 units over 4 days.

My supplier, Bulb, are confident that the meter is mine, although they do recognise the huge jump.

My neighbour above moved in around March. I know they have had problems with their supplier, EDF, who apparently don't recognise that there are 2 properties in the building. (Mine is Number 1, theres Number 3.)

I don't think they've been using my supply or that the meters are crossed. I might be being simple here but a pipe from my meter goes into my apartment, while a pipe from their meter goes into theirs.

When I turned my gas off, my hobs/heating stopped working. Theirs didn't.

I'm convinced it's something to do with their ongoing problems with EDF and have a feeling I've somehow been lumbered with their usage.

Bulb assure me that no other property is linked to my meter.

I'm flummoxed and would be grateful for any suggestions/ideas/theories please.

Incidentally, our electric meters were crossed, something I discovered after 7 years of paying someone elses bill.

Ta very much!

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

You've confirmed that your meter seems to be only supplying your property, and that you are submitting exact readings.

I guess high usage can only be down to either actual usage, the meter not reading correctly, or that it's supplying another property.

It seems you've covered all those options. Maybe turn off all your gas appliances (but not the supply) and see if it uses any gas for a couple of days.

rjmiller likes this.
  3. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I was away one night last week and when I returned the reading was the same as when I'd left. I have a hunch that all those extra units came on in one go.

I'm a complete novice: could the neighbour's supplier, who haven't been paid and who maybe mistakenly have linked my meter to the whole property, decide to bung on a few hundred units as an estimate of their usage since moving in?

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

As far as I know a supplier can't change the actual meter readings.

rjmiller likes this.
  5. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Does the serial number on "your" meter line up with the Meter Serial Number printed on your bill?

6. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

Unfortunately I can't make out any of the details on 'my' meter.

I've been alerted to a story in the Guardian from a few years ago about the make of my meter being linked to a bug causing 'phantom readings'.

7. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

There should be a "meter number" on your gas bill, and the same reference should be written on your meter. If it is written on your neighbours meter, then there has been a mistake somewhere. It is not unknown for numbers to get transposed, usually due to flats being re-numbered before the first person moves in.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Is this a 'Smart' meter that you have?

9. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

Thankyou. There's a label on my meter with spaces for those details to be written in. Unfortunately the spaces are empty.

It did turn out that our electricity meters were crossed but when I turn the supply off at my gas meter my gas hob/central heating don't work. Presumably that means they're not crossed?

10. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

No, but it turns out it's the same Siemens model that others have reported for providing 'phantom readings', which is interesting.

11. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

It does, as long as your supplier has the correct meter associated with your bill. It isn’t as easy to spot without meter readers - they would write thee meter serial number, the property address and the reading - it made it easier to spot one was wrong.

12. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

My supplier has asked me to book a gas engineer to ensure there isn't a leak. (There isn't )

And then they'll do a meter accuracy test which is a process I don't entirely trust given it has been accurate, it's just this one blip that seems suspicious.

So, all at a cost to me even though they can surely agree that a 400+ unit increase within a month is "suspicious".

I'm not sure how to put the onus on them to work with me on this.

13. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

A quick update on this. I took a picture of my reading this morning: 21840 019

I then turned off my supply.

When I got home this afternoon I took another picture of the reading: 21841 978.

This despite the supply being turned off?

14. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

post a picture of the meter

15. rjmiller

rjmiller New Member

Here it is:

20221005_171924.jpg

First reading this morning was 21840.

Thanks for any pointers.