Mobile phones

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chesterw, Oct 14, 2022.

1. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Can't stand the things but I need to update my ancient PAYG model.

Question what sort of PAYG phone do I need that can receive QR codes, I believe that would be a phone that can receive photos, so what would I be looking for?

I imagine new would be pricey, so used/old model/refurbed only, thanks

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Do you mean a phone that can read QR codes?

3. chesterw

No, I just want to receive QR code so I can use courier company, seems to me you make the booking, they sedn QR code, you go to shop with parcel, show QR code and they then print label

Apart from that it would just be a phone for very occasional use without data

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

You just need a smartphone... Any will do, doesn't have to be big money at all

chesterw likes this.
  5. chesterw

Thanks for that, any to avoid? better than the rest? I really know nothing about them

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Biggest decision will be deciding on android or apple operating system.
    They work a bit differently and I’m sure they split opinions.
    Plenty offers on eBay all the time with refurbished ones with 10-20% off code.

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If budget is a key consideration, as you will rarely use it, an unbranded Chinese model can be bought very cheaply from ebay or Morgan computers. Bear in mind that they can never be repaired as spares are simply unavailable and technicians would have rarely seen them before. Accessories like case, glass protectors are impossible to get hold of.

motorola are the first big brand that’s affordable. When it comes to repair Apples are the easiest and almost all repair shops have some experience with plenty of parts at hand. Samsungs are next but a lot more complex to take apart. As Mike58 says try the refurb market.

chesterw likes this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Motorola gets a thumbs up from me. Cheap and reliable.

chesterw likes this.
  9. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Break my phone every year or so just buy whatever iphone i can get for under 100 on gumtree, works for me..

if you don’t like the idea of a smartphone, what about a small tablet. More useful for doing computer things with and doesn’t need to be on you all the time like a phone

chesterw likes this.
  10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Pop into a car phone warehouse and look at handsets, you can get a basic Alcatel smartphone for £60

11. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

You don’t have to use all the Apps on a smartphone or sit there staring at it all day. There are some basic tools on it that make life easier such as Calculator, Maps, Weather, and Wallet. I sometimes even use mine to make phone calls.

At the moment I just pay Smarty £6/month and that seems to be enough.

chesterw likes this.
  12. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Just print off the QR and take it to the shop, they then scan it and print the label.

13. chesterw

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Buy a lebara sim. Deals on all the time.
    Probably cheaper than payg

chesterw likes this.
  15. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Don't worry about searching for "payg"... Just for look for a handset itself, then afterwards you can simply pick up the payg sim card on whichever network give you the best deal.

Tilt and chesterw like this.
  16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Your local Cash Converters will sell used mobiles.

I use a Samsung Android. All my contacts and photos etc are backed up to Google so if I change phones or sim cards it automatically restores them for me.

chesterw likes this.
  18. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I have purchased two Galaxy A5's off ebay in the past... both in excellent condition and a great phone to boot. Great camera.
    One of them is used for and makes for an excellent dash cam along with the additional memory card.
    Paid circa £60 /£70 for each phone iirc. And £11 for a 64GB PNY Pro Elite memory card for each phone. (These purchased from Curry's)

Deleted a lot of the Apps but still have torch, calculator, weather, maps, calendar, memo etc ......

I use it with a '1p Mobile' payg sim ...... (EE network)
    1p per minute calls, 1p per text and 1p per mb. For a very occasional low internet user, perfect IMO.

chesterw likes this.
  19. chesterw

Thanks guys for all the help and ideas, I'm still pondering.

Not keen on refurbs - I reckon a lot will be phones with intermittent faults, not keen on anything from china - had too many bad experiences. But I like flip phones, in fact I found one Samsung Galaxy 7 year old model but new for £199, and was going to link to it but now says sold for £59, the same firm had another used for £100 yesterday, today its £420 - whats all that about?

I want a flip phone because I know the screen on a standard phone wouldn't last 5 minutes with me.

20. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

That is probably because the person that purchased it knew it wasn't new ......... probably.