£120 for install of two supplied downlights... expensive or not?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jamieharrop16, Jan 5, 2023.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Depends if they have a milwaukee packout in my opinion. You cant be doing cheap jobs with that clobber, its like funding a bad drug habit

Sparkielev and Ind spark like this.
  2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I'm looking at another bounce back loan

Ind spark likes this.
  3. Sparkielev

To be fair if I'm already at the job then I would of charged around £80

exbg likes this.
  4. bright_Spark

Why charge anything less? the customer is happy to pay the price and it is £60 per light fixed less whatever materials he used, at least a £10. £55 per light on a price is what they charged. It wasnt done on an hourly rate. So even if it took 2 hrs it is about right. I doubt it took 30 mins to cut two down lights in and wire them up./

5. Sparkielev

Yeah if everything done right should take at least an hour, I don't mind knocking a bit off if I'm already at the job

6. bright_Spark

Think of the milwaukee gear mate, you need to be adding a bit on rather than knocking anything off.

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. Sparkielev

I will do that on my rewires

8. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Why not charge £200 . Or £500. If you can get away with daylight robbery then if your consciousness allows then go for it.

It may be the case that the OP is understating the time, but it appears that you all feel that £120 for 20 mins additional time is fair. It isn’t.

9. bright_Spark

Are you a sparky mate?

10. bright_Spark

Yes do it mate you need to get a Milwaukee catalogue to know how much to charge.

11. Sparkielev

Edmonsons I go to have stocked up on the latest milwaukee ? Have you seen the laser level they do it's top draw

12. bright_Spark

I have seen it all mate. I cannot believe the gear that they do. I am buying lottery tickets now by the dozen. If I won the euro lottery aprox 5 million, I reckon I could virtually get every milwaukee tool there is then just save up for the rest

Sparkielev likes this.
  13. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

When I was running a vehicle workshop we used to charge a minimum of £70 for an hour labour unless it was something really piddly like fitting a battery or inflating tyres.

Basically you have to make as much money as you reasonably can because operating costs for any business in the UK are enormous to pay for all the people who don't work.

I saw earlier that the bill was sent from the office and not paid the contractor directly... so that'll be a big factor in deciding the price.