Light bulb blew an tripped breaker.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Christopher Feeney, Jan 18, 2023.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Could be that Bazza but sure he said he has checked the switch in one of his posts already

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Quite possibly mate. I suspect the switch/s may actually be on when Christopher thinks they are off.

3. First two pictures are upstairs switch and last two are downstairs. It's not the pendant as it just tripped again.

Attached Files:

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Yes mate, he stated "no loose wires" in the opening post. But with no permanent live at the rose I cant see how with the switch off it could possiby be there, so I would just like to see the wiring at the switch for my own misery.

terrymac likes this.
  5. bright_Spark

Very possible. I assumed he has looked at the switch already/

6. bright_Spark

Dont like the earth on the middle lug, it is very close to bare copper conductor although no signs of a short there

terrymac likes this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have you removed the pendant from the rose ?

Christopher Feeney likes this.
  8. Bazza-spark

There's a lot of copper on show with some of those connections, but no sign of arcing or anything sinister.

9. Pendant has been removed.

10. bright_Spark

Pretty much convinced it is above the affected light having seen all of this evidence now. I think a crushed conduit or a loose wire in a jb. definately not the switch or MCB leaving only the pendant and wiring above.

11. A might be daft boys. Lol. But not that daft. Switches are off.
    I'll venture up the loft the mora boys and see what a can see. Bit late for that nonsense the night. Lol

12. Bazza-spark

Looking that way.

13. bright_Spark

Be interesting to find out what it was mate,. I have a Milwaukee packout so could be very embarrasing if I am mistaken. Somehow though I suspect I am spot on.;)

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's worth taking a look at wiring above the rose / conduit/ any junction boxes up in the loft ,but I suspect you will need an electrician to visit.

15. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

You aren’t going to get the original installation electrician back to sort it out, he will be pushing up daisies somewhere.

16. I'll get up the loft the mora Terry. See what a can see.

17. bright_Spark

yes agreed as it is also possible the electrician has shoved the wiring down a metal conduit to the switch and it has rubbed through the insulation where the cable bends under the floor. So could be on the switch where it cannot be seen.

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

With switches off and no voltage going to the rose , no permanent lives present there ,and MCB still trips I am struggling to see how there can be a short related to that location.
    Will be very interesting to find out what you uncover. Good luck.

19. bright_Spark

Possibility you may have hung a picture up and screwed into the cable without realising it as this is a two way circuit, so many possibilities it is bewildering.

20. Bazza-spark

Just a hunch, but take the rose down and give us a photo of what's behind it. I have just spotted green and yellow sleeving that isn''t inkeeping with the other things I can see.

Maybe a long shot but worth a look before you go ripping your loft up.

Edit, the permanent live may be hidden back there.