Caravan Park electrics

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andy140770, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Andy140770

Andy140770 New Member

Hi All,
    I have a touring caravan site that needs 32 x 16A hookups installing. The site has a new 200Kva 3 phase supply.
    My question is can I run 2 ring circuits in 2 core 35mm2 swa cable (open burried) each with 16 hookups connected? Earthing will be TT at each hookup via a 10mm copper earthing rod with 6mm2 earthing cable.
    Thanks in advance.

I have a caravan site that neds 32 x 16A hook ups installingTe site has a new 00Kva 3 upplly.

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

Would say you,d be better spreading the load across all 3 phase instead of just 2 phases. Also how do you plan on connecting ring into each 16amp point.
    Have you considered 3 3phase distribution Boards placed in strategy places then Radial wiring to each point?

Ind spark likes this.
  3. Andy140770

Andy140770 New Member

What size cable would I need to run to the 3 x 3 phase distribution boards?

4. Philip Hyde

Impossible to say with out Distances to each board. And some idea on site.
    But could be anything up to 35mm 4 core depending on what supply you are using to each board. Maybe 100amp to each board.

5. Andy140770

Andy140770 New Member

Approx 49 to 50M to each board from main incoming.

6. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

No, you can not install two socket rings circuits.

You need a trained and qualified professional to design this installation for you, it is not a DIY job.

Ind spark likes this.
  7. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

You can't be asking these questions on here, if someone says 6mm or 10mm or whatever and you go with it, it might fail a Zs test or it might not.

It needs designing properly as said above.

bright_Spark likes this.
  8. Philip Hyde

Why can't he run 2 ring circuits? It's an acceptable way of doing it. Just not the way I'd do it.

bright_Spark likes this.
  9. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Trying to design this installation with online advice from random unknown persons is totally wrong and I'm surprised the thread is even allowed to continue.
    There is no part of the job that is a d.i.y project so it shouldn't really be on this forum.

10. Philip Hyde

Correct. I was just suggesting options.

11. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

I wasn't objecting to you giving your opinion,I'm just giving my opinion to the o.p.
    Either he doesn't know or doesn't care about the potential dangers that could come from doing this job on the cheap.
    The big alarm bell rang when he suggested using only 2 of the 3 phases.
    It's the kind of thing that gives caravan sites and their occupants a bad reputation

Philip Hyde likes this.
  12. The Happy Builder

Because it's not an acceptable way of doing it.

My City and Guilds 2400 design project was a caravan and camping park installation, I know how to do it, but I am not going to design a complete installation free of charge on a discussion forum for a park owner :rolleyes:

13. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

That really is the point.
    If you have ever been to one of these caravan parks you will probably find a shower or 2 that have been wired with a bit of 2.5mm

14. The Happy Builder

A word of advice, many existing caravan and camping park installations do not comply to the current regulations, so don’t try copying what has been done on another park elsewhere.

708.415.1 requires every pitch socket to have its own individual double pole RCD and 708.533 requires them to have individual overcurrent protective devices as well, in addition 708.55.1.1 requires them to be interlocked.

This is an installation that is going to cost thousands of pounds, it need to be done correctly without cutting corners or trying to save a few quid here and there such as not paying for it to be designed in the first place.

15. The Happy Builder

16. Philip Hyde

How long has that been applicable then. I help a guy 3-4 years ago on a caravan park (nic approved) and he ran the circuit in a ring??
    Be interested to read any information you have on it not being accepted anymore. :)

17. Philip Hyde

18. The Happy Builder

19. The Happy Builder

There is around three thousand quids worth of sockets, before even considering anything else, this job needs approaching in a professional manner.

20. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

As well as the cost of materials this is a job that needs an electrical architect to design the installation and that would be another few thousand.
    This can't be designed on the back of a cigarette pack and I would estimate it's sounding like at least £30,000 to complete.