Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by dubsie, Jan 7, 2023.

1. AmateurBodger

AmateurBodger Member

Well, National Grid who run the electricity network seem to be happy that they have sufficient capacity to deal with EVs if everyone switched overnight. I'm willing to go with their expertise as they have all of it.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

2. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

longboat likes this.
  3. AmateurBodger

AmateurBodger Member

Are you the sole government supplier and provider of bridges for the United Kingdom?

4. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

As an esteemed Nigerian prince, I have been entrusted by your United Kingdom Government at the request of His most excellent Majesty, King Charles, to sell by private treaty, the Tower Bridge of London.....

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It must be great to have such a high level of faith in establishments like the National Grid, the government, politicians, the media, etc. ... but it must also lead to a lot of disappointments when reality sets in and these establishments let you down.

Words are easy, living by them just a tad harder!

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Thanks Roger, for a moment there I thought I was a voice of sanity in the wilderness of blind acceptance.

stevie22 and rogerk101 like this.
  7. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Anyone above a certain age will remember we have been here before when people started to buy diesel cars for the economical miles per gallon ,the fuel savings were lost when diesel suddenly became more expensive than petrol.
    The so called ban on diesel and petrol cars that is supposed to be coming soon will just be a tax that you will need to pay if you don't have an electric vehicle.
    And if you do have an electric vehicle you will be paying a high rate to charge it.
    There will also be a high tax on petrol and diesel.
    Whatever happens running a vehicle is not going to be cheap

longboat and rogerk101 like this.
  8. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I think our use of the motor vehicle has got out of hand. The freedom to buy any vehicle for any use is simply unsustainable....range rover, SUVs and pickups being used to light commutes on smooth roads is something that needs to be addressed. However, taxing people just creates a situation where the wealthier you are the more you can pollute...much the same as countries buying carbon credits.

We all need clean air and that goes hand in glove with protecting our natural world. What we need is sensible policies that stop needless waste and pollution but I don't think taxing something works everytime. What we need really is cleaner vehicles that use as little energy as possible....and that may unfortunately require restrictions on what you can buy.

Electric vehicles have a place but are by no means the cure because they are too expensive, the batteries are very polluting and the cost to the counties mining the elements is enormous......not to mention slavery and child labour.

We are destroying our planet and global warming is an issue we need to take very seriously but there are many other environmental issues as well and they are all equally important. Species diversity is plunging across the globe.... extinctions are common place and we think nothing of wiping a species off the map without contemplating the knock on effects of all the other species that relay on it. It will come to a point that our own survival will be put in jeopardy because of a collapse of the natural world.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Too many of us, and not a single politician or policy maker with the guts to suggest we all just breed a little less.

The planet is already doomed because of our dominance in numbers and in our greedy consumption, so the best we can hope for is to slow down the decline.

On that cheery note, anyone with a pair of bricks to do the necessary?

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Question, Would that hurt? Answer Only if you get your thumbs caught between the bricks. :)

rogerk101 likes this.