Newly qualified need advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Harry Brown, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

In 25yr I only been knocked once, which I'm sure most trades would take

Astramax and longboat like this.
  2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Not quite as long as you lev, but in 20 yrs I've only been diddled once too.
    As it happens about a year in and for about £90 iirc, labour only.
    Took it quite bad at the time, called round several nights in a row but no answer.
    Realised later that they were in the 'do what you likey' club.
    You live and learn!

3. Sparkielev

Yeah happened about 5yr in I got done for 3k in extras, customer said "you can take me to court but you will lose ' awful feeling but fortunately most of customers are recommendations so unlikely not to pay,

4. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

There you go.

You’re working with recommendations now and OP isn’t. He’s new to the gig.

Anyway I’ve said my bit, OP can make his decision.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Ouch, that must have stung for a good while.
    Much the same for me now though, all recommendations/repeat customers, no stress at all.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can't be cost effective to turn up to work with chaperone surely? :oops:

longboat and Sparkielev like this.
  7. Sparkielev

The OP seemed like he knew what he was doing and am sure he will find what's best for him I never once suggested he should wait for payment iits something I like to do and I won't be the only one

longboat likes this.
  8. Sparkielev

Yeah was brutal it took a long time to get over especially the way smug b@%=#÷d spoke to me

9. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’m tall for my age.

10. Harry Brown

Harry Brown New Member

Hello everyone,

I've written out a quote for the customer and asked for £1500 plus materials. I felt this is a reasonable price as it could take 6-7 days especially due to me already working full-time and that I will have to sand down all walls and it will be time consuming with the stain ect. Also as he's got quiet big rooms I felt he would perhaps need a few tubs of trade paint which can cost quiet an amount. Especially now he wants a few different colours, and paints for ceilings, woodwork, fillers ect. Let's see what he says ..…...

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

Good luck.

Try to get some more quotes out so you don’t think too much about this one.

12. Harry Brown

Harry Brown New Member

I think I will be getting some more jobs in the next up and coming months due to some interest in my work. Hopefully this one goes ahead but even if it doesn't I'm not to worries as it is a big pain of a job

Thank you for your help

chillimonster likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Experience say's.....do not rely on interest or promises. :cool:.........;)

14. Harry Brown

Harry Brown New Member

Unfortunately he did not except as he finds that too expensive for "just 2 rooms" but oh well. Probably saved myself a big hastle

Thank you everyone for your help

Sparkielev likes this.
  15. Sparkielev

Looks like you dodged a bullet

MikeByfield likes this.
  16. Sparkielev

He obviously wanted top for very little outlay, what he will get is carp job for little outlay he will end up on checkatrader

Phil the Decorator likes this.
  17. Phil the Decorator

Phil the Decorator Active Member

moving on and it's a new learning curve for you. so don't worry about that you missed out on...

Look at each room... look at each part of the job and ask yourself how long will it take you to do it... break it down into hours.. then add it up to how many days etc (please don't charge customers a day rate.. it's the slippery slope to not making money in P&D)

Prep... 1st coat, 2nd coat etc.
    How long will you be painting the ceiling... two coats
    walls two coats
    woodwork etc (btw, if it's oil satin/eggshell you don't use an UC, it's slef Undercoating - if it's water based, use the correct Uc then two top coats - some brands will be 2 coast over previously preped woodwork, Dulux Heritage, BM ScuffX, Jono Aqua Gaurd etc)

Materials you'll learn how much you need with time... a 'normal house ceiling' 5-10ltrs, walls 7.5ltrs and woodwork a couple of ltrs.... you won't be far wrong.
    Buy at the cheapest prices you can with your trade account... sell to the customer at the RRP, (when you QUOTE, it's a materials and labour price all in one, so no splitting up what materials you use and at what price).

It all comes with time.

But please watch all of this.... it will help you and it's helped many others who've been doing it years... it's nothing new, basic maths but some people just need to hear it.. and work it out for themselves..

kitfit1 likes this.
  18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Like yourself @Phil the Decorator, i think tradespeople have nearly always underestimated how much they actually need to earn. In my case, unless i can earn £350 a day minimum i will and do turn jobs down. There are and always have been customers more than happy to pay for quality, it's up to us to sort the chancers from those that can afford it. And your right in your video, the £120 a day brigade that undercut professional tradespeople lower overall earnings to all of us that try to earn a comfortable living.

Phil the Decorator likes this.
  19. Nathan lowe

Nathan lowe Member

Interested to know how you broke down 6-7 days of work for two rooms?

20. H Bell

H Bell Active Member

In passing, the biggest mistake people make is to underestimate jobs. If you have something that's a bit complicated, then wildly overestimate. If you get the job it's great, loads of money, but if you don't it's no big deal because you didn't know how to estimate it and you might have lost money. Accurate estimating comes with time, just go for the jobs at the moment that are easier to estimate.