Drill size for fitting tubular latch on interior doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Purple Box, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Purple Box

Purple Box New Member

What size drill, tried a 22mm too tight and next one up 25mm was very close to the latch plate width?

many thanks in advance
    Julian

2. lamello

lamello New Member

22mm but you often need to wiggle it about(fnar fnar) to make it fit the hole. Either that or drill a 22mm hole and pare the top and bottom of the hole to let it in

3. makita49

makita49 New Member

22mm then trim the rest with small chisel.

4. Purple Box

Purple Box New Member

Just as I thought, another case of bad design!
    many thanks..........

5. Carl

Carl New Member

I've always wondered why some bright spark did'nt make a 23mm bit,perfect for the job.Meanwhile i've been doing them with a 22mm M A D bit for years,works a treat.

6. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

22mm bits are perfect if and only if you drill straight and use a quality latch not a 22p cheapy

7. Carl

Carl New Member

Unfortunatly cheapies are all we're given to fit so we get on with it.

Garviel Loken likes this.
  8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

in that case i just enlarge the hole with a chisel

9. Carl

Carl New Member

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

use the 25mm, yes its close but its quicker

Hazza likes this.
  11. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I personally wouldnt use 25mm. If they are really cheap the face plate can be under that and you end up with a small gap in the middle, which on a nice door looks naff.
    Go with 22 and chiesel as other have said.
    woody

12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm only a DIYer, so I've only fitted a few latches. I've always used an imperial size 7/8" flat bit. It's only a "gnat's" up on 22mm, but I've never had a problem....Maybe I've just been lucky. :)

13. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Kitfit likes this.
  14. malkie129

Yeah...Agreed, you can do this, but it's not as easy as it sounds as you need to remove exactly the same amount of metal from each side of the flat bit, otherwise it will cut an off-centre hole & the vibration will make the drill difficult to control. If you really do want to try this, then I suggest that you use a file rather than a grinder.

15. part timer

part timer New Member

Came up with same idea today when fitting some cheap nasty latches, will give it a go next time. Agree that it's bad design- surely it would cost no more to make cheap nasty latches but just a bit smaller. Also fitted some cheap nasty handles-the ordinary ones were fine but the bathroom lock ones wouldn't allow the handle down far enough for the latch to go back fully into the face plate. Doesn't anybody test these things before they produce them?

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

test them before they manufacture.........

no, this is the real world

the importers import them because they are cheap

17. Mof

Mof Guest

Its always been a 7/8" bit and that is what I use.

18. malkie129

Going back to my earlier posting. Maybe these cheepo Chinese latches are copied from American ones, so perhaps they are made to fit 7/8 bored holes ?...I really don't know, so just a thought...

19. dual193

dual193 New Member

24mm auger or flat bit..
    I prefer the auger as it does all the work for you. Unless you are fitting cheap doors from one of the sheds then its pot luck whats inside the door.

20. ads_chip

ads_chip New Member

25mm everytime no need to nibble bits off straight in minimal effort

Hazza likes this.