Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Nov 12, 2006.

1. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

I need to make use of my conservatory this winter due to the short term arrival of a couple of guests. Normally we keep the entrance doors closed in the winter and not utilise the conservatory due to the heat loss (I assume through the polycarb roof, as the windows are double glazed.
    The poly carb roof is attached to par 4" x 2" hardwood joists. Can I insulate with 100mm thick roof insulation material and finish with wood cladding? If so do I need to consider putting in a moisture barrier to prevent condensation?

When my guests have gone in the spring I may decide to remove the insulation so do not want to go to a great expense on this project. However if it is successful I may decide to leave it in situ.

I dont think a long term option would be to convert to a tiled roof as this is a dwarf wall conservatory with hardwood frames, that was not built with such a roof in mind.

The objective is to save heat escape through the poly carb roof, and leave the entrance door open to give unrestricted access from the house - wife tells me the out-laws are staying no matter what, so if I can utilise this space for them I may still get some privacy!

Any other advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

my thought on this one loads of wood will probably pull the roof down as its only designed to support poly or glass plus a few kgs of snow ect

my idea would be thick canvas and 100mm insulation sandwich conected to the frame [i dont know how precisely maybe net curtain hooks !!!!]string and button type idea like leather furniture or heavy upholsterd furniture that sot of thing

this will keep the feel off the room keep it as light as possible and not overload the structure

big all

3. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

You might be in breach of planning regulations if the roof is not clear. It would no longer be a conservatory.

I remember that some friends had once strung bubble wrap sheets under the ceiling of their conservatory. They had stretched wires from one end of the rafters to the other and placed a couple of layers of bubble wrap over the wires. As it was transparent, it was still a conservatiry. Worked reasonable well. If you want to risk the planning issue, replace the bubble wrap with TriIso9 or similar.

Alternatively, do nothing and the outlaws might get cold, take the hint and go away.

Corkyjohn likes this.
  4. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

You could temporarily do whatever you like (within reason). If you want to string up some light weight insulation then go for it.
    I dont see why you are worring, does your building control officer make random visits?!?!

I would however take the advise not to make it too heavy as the structure probably is not designed to take muck more weight than it already has.

5. DIY_Man

DIY_Man New Member

Have you thought about using a clear bubble wrap type insulation (the type with say 20mm bubbles)? This material is purpose made for insulating greenhouses etc, is transparent and is not affected by moisture. If you tape the joints of the insulation (with clear tape) and fix it to the underside of the rafters (i.e. not touching the Poly sheets) then I would guess that you would increase the insulation values of the roof four fold.

This material is readily available from any good Garden centre, Could be easily fixed to the underside of the rafters using a stalpe gun, would not cost too much and, if done carefully, would look OK.

6. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Cheers folks for all your advice and suggestions.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Cheers folks for all your advice and suggestions.

But what did you do eventually ? Or did you leave it ?

nd if you did do it, does it work ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

With the winter being particularly mild it has not been a problem so far, so I have not done anything yet. However the bubble wrap seems worth trying for starters as that will not put much load on the beams, and still let day light in - seems to be worth a try? Have you any offerings Handy Andy?
    Cheer 4 now
    Tony

9. Mr. Handyandy

Only one. Is your glass special at all ?

Because curtains round all the windows would probably be a better solution. After all, this is where you want the warmth.

Stopping the warmth going out the roof won't stop it rising to the roof area, and the cold windows won't do anything to replenish the heat loss.

In short, you are losing heat by having all that glass around.

Curtains around there will prevent a lot of the loss.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. Cookoid

Cookoid New Member

I have just put a permanant roof on a dwarfwall/hardwood conservatory/kitchen. There might be planning issues but our now roofed extension is the smallest on the row I am not too worried.

I got a structural enginner to look at it and he said it was easily strong enough. Our old roof was double glased units rather than polywhatever so was quite heavy. The critical calculation he said was the existing large threaded bar to prevent roof spread, but that came in twice the diameter required.

Now with breathable felt, tiles, celotex and insulated plasterboard its warm and snug. Ours is actually part of the kitchen it was a necessity, it was a stupid idea to put a conservatory roof on in the first place, but the missus persuaded me to buy the place like that....

I will get some photos up when I get chance.

11. fooman

fooman New Member

Because curtains round all the windows would probably
    be a better solution. After all, this is where you
    want the warmth.

Cannot see what curtains can do around the sides.

Stopping the warmth going out the roof won't stop it
    rising to the roof area, and the cold windows won't
    do anything to replenish the heat loss

how will curtains around the sides stop heat from rising to the roof ??

In short, you are losing heat by having all that
    glass around.

You will lose a small amount yes but not as much thats going up through the roof

Curtains around there will prevent a lot of the
    loss.

will prevent some of it not much of it.

Why do you think you keep warm wearing a hat ???

Altho you might need one more than most of us as there is an empty void bewteen your neck and the top of you head :^O

Basic physics..... Heat always rises.....

12. Mr. Handyandy

Fooman, stick to electrics. you know naff all about electrics and even less about this subject.

If I said black is black, you would argue it.

Sit in the middle of the conservatory.

Then sit near the glass.

Feels colder at the glass. IT is.

Put the curtains up in front of the glass. Sit in front of the curtains.

Feels warmer than at the glass ? It is.

The roof isn't drawing the heat from you. The glass IS.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. fooman

fooman New Member

The roof isn't drawing the heat from you. The glass
    IS.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

What a load of old coblers

14. Mr. Handyandy

You try it.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. Mr. Handyandy

Try it in your house.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. Mr. Handyandy

Use a thermometer. Inside the curtains. Outside the curtains.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. fooman

fooman New Member

Use a thermometer. Inside the curtains. Outside the
    curtains.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

ar i get what you are on about now. Put some curtains up and some thermometers around the outside behind the curtains and the hot air will stop escaping through the roof....

brilliant... now i have had cavity insulation installed this summer i can make more room in my loft by chucking the roof insulation away... GREAT :)

Have a think how hot air ballons work NosoHandy and this will give you a clue where hot air likes to try and escape from ;)

box of chocs for the correct answer

18. Mr. Handyandy

Foolman, you ****ing idiot. You ain't worth trying to explain to.

It's colder without curtains. FULL STOP.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. fooman

fooman New Member

and heat rises !!! you *

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  20. Mr. Handyandy

Go sit in the effin roofspace then, nerdbrain.

Wonder what heat does when there's coldness in the air below ?///

What does it do foolman ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really