basin waste just won't stop leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by twice_knightly, Jun 14, 2006.

1. I think I'm just about ready to loose it and take the lump hammer to the basin I've just installed....

Fitted a basin two weeks ago and I haven't been able to stop it leaking since (although some days I do just give up completely!!)

First I tried silicon sealant around where the waste outlet enters the basin but it leaked from underneath, I tried bedding the outlet on some plumbers mait and it still leaked, I then tried the silicon again but with PTFE tape around the thread of the outlet and yes it still leaked..even tried plumers mait/PTFE with no joy.

Yesterday I replaced the washers as by now they were gunked in plumbers mait and silicon! I assembled the waste outlet with just the rubber washer (no silicon or anything) and some PTFE tape on the thread and it appeared to work..execept the basin didn't hold water, water was running down into the overflow slot and out into the trap, then I tried it with hot water and guess what..it poured everywhere and I'm back to square one.

I'm putting the rubber washer over the waste outlet, popping it into the hole in the basin, then underneath I'm slipping the plastic washer onto the thread and tightening the back nut up as tight as I can by hand.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to get a 'faulty' waste outlet that's out of shape or something? I feel like I've tried everything and the only thing left is the lump hammer which is coming out on Saturday if it doesn't stop leaking!!!

Cheers

2. This is a very simple task which the Polish plumbers manage every time.

Unfortunately you have not explained clearly enough what you did so I will say what you should have done.

Totally dry and clean around the hole. Apply Plumber's Mait to the top of the waste hole in the basin pressing it in to stick to the china. Push the waste fitting down into it to bed it in firmly, then remove excess.

Apply some silicone to both sides of the rubber washer and push it upwards over waste from underneath. Push the plastic overflow coupler ring upwards onto the rubber washer.

Put silicone on top only of the plastic washer and push it up from underneath and then tighten the nut up from underneath.

Wipe off surplus silicone and leave 45 min to set.

Test and get paid and leave!

Should be simple!

How does this differ from what you have done?

Tony

3. rcplumber

rcplumber New Member

Test and get paid and leave!

Should be simple!

How does this differ from what you have done?

Tony

His ****** water everywere! :)

4. n510

n510 New Member

Try a basin waste washer kit, I got 1 for 98p from B&Q. Foam washer between waste and inside of basin, V shaped rubber washer underneath, followed by plastic ring, then screw nut on and tighten. Make sure mating surfaces are clean, shouldn't be any problems.

5. Cobblers

Cobblers New Member

During a major refurb ive been doing, ive had to fit 30 basins. so far3 or 4 of them have leaked the same as you are describing. This is due to the bottom of the waste outlet not being 'square' if you get my meaning. The only option has been to swop the basin over

6. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Its not just the Buy&Queue cheapo washbasins that leak you know.

I have cursed and swore that this is the last time etc.etc.

Now?, I carry a kit made by a small manufacturer.

1) forget silicone.

2) Forget plumbers mait

3) get yourself one of these as well, its made by - just nip out to the van to check - dell factor ltd. Its called a 'Basin Waste Seal', cost is just over a pound.
    Basically theres a soft white washer to fit under the rim of the chrome slotted waste fitting, push the conical shaped soft neoprene washer over the threaded waste fitting into the the hole where it protrudes, a plastic cup washer stops the neoprene washer turning under tightening.
    A metal backnut instead of the plastic one usually supplied will also help. Some snipe nosed pliers to hold the waste fitting steady, while the back nut is tightening, and that neoprene washer WILL fill the imperfect waste hole that seems more and more common these days.
    Yes, it costs me about £2.50 extra per basin, but in terms of time saved and ease of use plus confiidence that once the pedestal under the basin is fixed it will not have to come out again is well worth it. IMHO.
    Best of British.
    Patrick.

I do not work for dell factor, their phone number is 01902 305111

I get mine at Norfolk Discount plumbing and Heating, Ketts Hill Norwich. - thats a very small (compared to PTS, Grahams etc) independant merchant. :)

7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

The problem may well be a leak down the threads of the waste from the concentric slots in the porcelain and waste spigot which connect with the overflow. Put a goodly serving of PTFE tape around the full length of the thread after the overflow slots.
    PTP

8. ­

­ New Member

Disconnect the taps. That'll stop it.

retiredsparks likes this.
  9. Stench

Stench Member

Just use the 'Basin mate' kit already recommended by two posters. Never had a leak with one of those. Saves a load of ar*ing about. No need for any sealants. Couple of minutes and you're done.

10. vinnie

vinnie New Member

As already mentioned, the basin may be warped.
    Had similar problem with a very expensive suite a year ago only way to overcome the leak was to strip it all down clean, reassemble with silicone on every mateing face and leave to set for a few hours

11. TicklyT

TicklyT New Member

I've found that too much sealant makes the washer too slippery, so it tends to distort and pop out the side as the backnut is tightened. Last one I put together with silicon leaked like a sieve. I cleaned it all off the washer, assembled it 'dry' and it sealed nicely.

retiredsparks likes this.
  12. Thanks for all the replies and help
    Patrickplumbingandheating - thank you too for taking the time and trouble to get the contact info/part name.

I nipped out this morning and bought a basin waste seal, what a fantastic invention! Took 5 minutes to fit and not a leak in sight. I tested it all day (well I haven't washed for two weeks!) and it's as dry as a bone under there. Was £2.19 from a big DIY place but well worth it for me.

I guess the basin must have been made faulty, well that's what I'm sticking to, blaming the tools for a change!

Cheers

Andycdesign likes this.
  13. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Thanks for all the replies and help
    Patrickplumbingandheating - thank you too for taking
    the time and trouble to get the contact info/part
    name.

I nipped out this morning and bought a basin waste
    seal, what a fantastic invention! Took 5 minutes to
    fit and not a leak in sight. I tested it all day
    (well I haven't washed for two weeks!) and it's as
    dry as a bone under there. Was £2.19 from a big DIY
    place but well worth it for me.

I guess the basin must have been made faulty, well
    that's what I'm sticking to, blaming the tools for a
    change!

Cheers

TK, happy be of service, I always carry a couple on the Van, now if its a complete suite, with tiling and carpentry works you would me to quote on.....................

14. yellowtump

yellowtump New Member

And still Screwfix don't stock it !

15. Never fit cheap plastic ones as they split when tighten too tight. just fit the chrome metal ones from Screwfix - save you loads of time

16. kyia

kyia New Member

basin mate/works first time every time 100% strip out what you've done .its easier to fit with the basin upside down in your lap insert the chrome waste and fit the rubber bung on to this tapered side to basin.work it on as far as you can then fit the nut supplied and tighten
    it can help to slip a screw driver into the waste to hold it to help tighten the nut the cone will bulge as it seals.never leaks

v guevara likes this.
  17. morbius

morbius New Member

Never fit cheap plastic ones as they split when
    tighten too tight. just fit the chrome metal ones
    from Screwfix - save you loads of time

Ill second that

18. straker

straker New Member

I have just had the same problem .I have just re routed pipes and waste ..no problem with the pipe work but the waste ! OMG what a pain ..the pipe work I thought was going to be hell as the pipes were almost on the floor tight up against a wall no chance of a pipe cutter had to use a hack saw blade .that worked ok {it took time } then on to the waste .I had that done in a few minutes and was cleaning up .then I thought check it ...water all over the place the water was running down the outside of the thread .I have left it for tonight .and will buy a basin kit and some plumbers gold and finish the job in the morning .that's for the TIP on how to sort it out .I did not realise that this is such a common problem ..but at least its a cheap fix .

19. OceanB123

OceanB123 New Member

Just use Plumbers Mait. The basin waste seal kits can be too long to allow the waste connection beneath it to screw on all the way. Plumbers Mait sausage wrapped around the underneath of the waste contacting the basin waste through the sink vs threads coming through underneath. Tighten the nut underneath so it squeezes out but not too tight to crack the basin. The rubber kit is cheap but a one off. Small Plumbers Mait pot will provide equivalent ~+10 of waste kits (but only 2 times price).

20. v guevara

v guevara New Member

OceanB123, I called a Plumbing company who called themselves "able" to fix a leak under the washbasin sitting on a fixed unit and the first plumber they send me changed the plastic pipe under the basin. He left and noted what he did fixed a pipe ( but the faulty one is the flexible metal pipe attached to the tap's base and even mentioned the ceiling under the basin is damaged extensively but when I got home the floor was wet, used All my towels; all soaked. He did not double checked if it still leaking. I called again at 7 a.m.Friday (the next day) and the co. send second plumber nd arrived at my place about 6:15pm. He spent about 3 minutes to enter the house put his hand under the basin and said "the tap is faulty, you need to change it then switched off the water supply by turning the two screws under the tap". The company shouldnt have charged me £132. when the first plumber did not find the main fault and did not switched off the water? I would have appreciated if they told me on the first day I called Tuesday 1 Sept to turn two screws off; that would have prevented the extensive damage; but the water was switched off on Friday 4 Sept 2015. their style is ok well send someone to fix it between 9 to 11, then ring again after 11 to say "well send someone between 1 to 5"; this pattern repeats everyday until their cowboy plumber arrived on Thurs 6.30 pm but changed the wrong pipe. They havent offered to fit the new vanity I bought after their mistake but offered for a new charge. Do I have the right to sue them? Their second plumber who showed me the screws to turn off said the first plumber did the wrong job but of course I realized that because What is the point of changing the plastic pipe if the main problem The Tap is faulty and cant be fixed?