Conduit in stud walls

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kidspud, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kidspud

kidspud Member

I have just had built a stud wall and wish to run some sockets from a ring main prior to adding plasterboard and plaster. Do I need to hide the cable in conduit or can it just run free within the stud wall (held by clips if need be).

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Provided that you have a minimum of 50mm clearance to your cables from BOTH sides of the stud wall you dont need to encase them in conduit. Normally you would run the wires through drilled holes in the centre of the studs and nogins. It would help to clip the cable up a stud to make sure it doesnt curl around in the wall and, assuming you are wiring a ring circuit, it will also help to tape the wiring together at intervals to keep it stiff and tidy. Hope this helps.

3. Donny Johnson

Donny Johnson Member

Good call

4. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Clip the cables yes but tape them together no chance. If the cables are less than 50mm below the surface of the wall covering either encase them in EARTHED conduit or sheathing, or Protect that particular circuit with a 30mA RCD coupled with an appropriately sized OCPD. Regulation 522.6,202

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Also, the cables must be run in the recognised zones.
    Essentially horizontal or vertical from a socket/switch etc.
    [​IMG]

Note that the circuit must be RCD protected. Sockets must be RCD protected and also if the cables are less than 50mm from either surface of the wall (they almost always will be).

Pete Jones likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old chap post is from 2003, would think he has sorted the problem by now.:D

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Grrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

One would hope so!!

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

...tape them together no chance...? Why not? It helps to keep them bunched neatly and tidily together. It has nothing to do with protection. You could also use zip cable ties for a more correct approach but nothing wrong with tidy wiring! Whether it was 16 years ago or now, still the same advice...:)

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The precise measurement stated in the Regs. is ridiculous. If a cable is 49mm from the surface it needs protection? If its 50mm it doesn't. As if 1 mm is going to make a difference. And who measures it anyway...

12. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Because if you ever have to withdraw a cable for any reason after the wall covering has been installed, taping the cable together will make it even more difficult, cable tie are even worse, even inside electrical enclosures.

george warren likes this.
  13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well why would you want to withdraw a cable afterwards? You are supposed to support cables, even in a vertical drop, so binding them together is a way of doing that. It also helps to keep them in-line within the wiring zones behind the face of stud wall. Allowing them to drop loosely would mean they could snake anywhere. Sorry, but I disagree with you on this one. Definitely bind the cables together with tape or cable ties. If you need to withdraw them then cut the stud wall open just the same as you would chop in to a plastered wall to remove cables. We don't install to make life easy to dismantle, we install to make things safe.

14. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

I think if I could draw in a replacement cable U would rather than chop away a perfectly good wall, join to the damaged cable or the one you need to extend or replace, and pull it out carefully jobs a good one, doesn't always work but you can try. No need to be sorry Mate you do it your way and I'll do it mine, still wouldn't tape them together in a bundle, bad workmanship I reckon, still you carry on if that's your bag,

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Who has time to run in all the cables in conduit just on the off-chance they might need replacing? That's gonna double the price of a job or your gonna spend so much time installing you won't make a profit. If cables need's replacing chop and re plaster. Sounds like you have one standard for the forum and another for real life.

16. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Never mentioned "running them in conduit" Coloumb, that's just your interpretation of my post, what an accusation to make!! don't know what your installation experiences are, but from your comments it appears to be very little.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Lol so you want to withdraw the cable but you don't actually install it in conduit. My interpretation? Lol how does that work then? Conduit that you can withdraw the cable from but actually not. LMAO

18. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

This comment only goes to substantiate my previous one, regarding experience. You can with care and experience withdraw and replace TWE cable installed in a stud wall with ease if you are careful thus negating the need to chop walls about, thus no need to re plaster lost count of the number of time I have done that, during alterations and rewires.

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you want a modular install then surface mount the whole thing. The amount of time invested in chasing out/running in conduit on the off chance a cable might need replacing is going to be considerably more than chopping out a section IF it does. It's like Deleted member 11267 when he says he chases out and plasters in cable behind kitchen units. Waste of time, but for some reason his installs are done to a "higher standard" than everyone else. Same as you.

20. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

So taping cables together in a stud wall is high standard work is it? Hong Kong Fuey Mate.

Mr_sweet likes this.