Guarantee for work done

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by busy builder, Mar 2, 2010.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I replaced the existing gutters on a croft which had come down due to heavy (18" deep) snow on the roof. It was an insurance claim job and I have not been paid yet (not a problem). I fitted the fascia brackets at 600mm centres on purpose just incase of more heavy snow.

Anyway last Thursday we had very heavy snow again (about 20") and part of my gutters were pulled down ripping the fixings/facia brackets from the walls. Also the existing original gutters on the other side of the croft have come away due to the snow.

So, do I re do my work for free...as under warranty ?

2. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

There's a question!

Obviously gutters are not designed to take that sort of weight - why didn't the owner clear the accumulation before damage occurred? It's an exceptional weather event and I don't see how you can be held liable just because of the short time frame. Your standard of work exceeded that required. Would you have been liable if a vandal came along and pulled them down a week after you put them up - no!

However I should imagine the owner/insurers might not want to pay again!

The old gutter will need a second claim anyway? Can you not just absorb the rework and avoid an argument? I suppose it depends on how much money we are talking - cast iron or plastic etc.

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

but then if your house flooded and then flooded again just after the repairs were done you would expect the insurance to pay a second time

if someone crashed into your car the day after it came back from the sprayers fro the last crash you wouldnt expect the sprayers to do it again for nothing

if you have done the work to a good standard then you should be paid and paid again if they want it re doing
    if you are a handyman who nailed the brackets on with 2" round heads then you should pay a plumber to re-do the whole house

4. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I've decided to talk to client with an open mind. I may just do the job again as goodwill, but get the other side as an extra job.

We live and learn.

5. fitero

fitero New Member

Its an act of God,so unless you are God in which case you should not snow on your own work.

6. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Funny you should mention snow boards.

As we haven't had the winters we used to get.....ha ha....most people have had them removed as they have rotted.

Perhaps we should build them in again, the old builders knew a thing or two.

8. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Surely if they had home building insurance then it would be covered in there and they could claim it through that?