Plastic DIN Rail Enclosures

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jimbo, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What are the two appliances that require each to have a dedicated 16 amp MCB ?

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Single ovens.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Weird the SF site says it's metal but someone said it's placky in the comments/reviews. I thought all switch gear had to be metal these days, 18th an all that. I don't need to tell you that new ctts. need notification so probably you don't care anyway.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I suppose it's a question of whether it's a 'consumer unit'. I don't think it is; it's just a box with a DIN rail. There are no neutral/earth bars and no main switch, RCD or otherwise. But does an MCB in a box = a consumer unit?

FCUs aren't necessarily metal for example.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What are the kilowatt ratings of each oven ? You can almost certainly connect both to a dual appliance outlet plate on the existing 32 amp circuit.

7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

666GX is metal. How are you cabling it? Metal CU + metal enclosure you could run a SWA sub main from a 32 in the CU.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Existing CU has 6mm T&E run from 32A RCBO to double oven via appropriate isolator and flex outlet. Will be replaced with 2x single ovens, each 16A rated. I would feel more comfortable having a 16A breaker for each i.e. in the top of the oven cupboard hence considering a simple DIN enclosure, rather than a consumer unit, to house them.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you keep the run in 6mm or even 4mm your not going to add any value putting in extra breakers, unless you want to switch to 2.5mm. Waste of money imo.

ElecCEng likes this.
  10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Do what you want ,but it's a complete waste of time and money in my opinion

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The installation instructions state, "The fuse protection must correspond to the power rating specified on the appliance's rating plate and to local regulations. The appliance must only be connected with the power cable provided", so I assume that cable is likely 16A rated.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Look at post 6, we need answers.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

They are both 16A.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It would be highly unlikely for the power cable provided not to be able to carry 16 amps of current ,and the circuit cable able to carry at least double that.
    The oven can't draw more than 16 amps , and in the event of excessive current ,as in a fault arising ,the RCBO would intervene.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Regardless, I was asking about whether a plastic enclosure can be used. £20 in the cost of kitchen refurbishment is immaterial and it would be my preferred approach to stick with the manufacturers instructions, whilst avoiding the upheaval of running an additional circuit from the board. The two appliances are NEFF HNF3701 and HNF7001, fwiw.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

They don't give a value in watts?

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

3450W and 3650W respectively.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well what @terrymac says is the truth. So it's up to you. Personal I would get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they say. The ovens shouldn't rely on local fusing for protection, the fuse is there to protected the cable, not the appliance.

If you do MCB it down you should really check the Zs is in limits and I don't like to see sub-mains protected by an RCD but hey ho. Your trip.

terrymac likes this.
  19. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

OK thanks, I have sent the request.