Repurposing a cooker cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NathanielC, Apr 22, 2021.

1. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

I want to use this cooker cable to power 4 induction hobs rated at 3kw each. Is the picture I've attached a safe way to do it or can I even do it at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

are they all going to be in use at one? And what kind of induction Hob are they to be limited to 3kw

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2021
  3. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

They need to all be turned on at the same time but will probably never be set higher than 2000w each, although they can go to 3000w. The ideal cooking temp for them is between 1200w and 1500w. They are Buffalo Induction Hob CE208-03.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I think you may need to upgrade the mcb as you’ll be running right on the limit of 2kw each. The size may be limited by the installation method of the 6mm cable. 2.5mm is inadequate between JBs

The other way of handling the junction boxes is to use a second consumer unit with 4 16A MCBs

5. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

If I replaced the 32a mcb with a 45a mcb on the consumer unit, it would all be fine then?

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

jonathanc likes this.
  7. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Not fit for purpose.

9. The Happy Builder

No.

You’re dangerous.

jonathanc likes this.
  10. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

Why?
    The RCD board will allow 80a, and so far there is only the 32a mcb for the cooker and two 6a mcbs. So that 32a can be upgraded to a 45a. And 6mm t&e is rated for 47a. Why is that dangerous? Please help!

11. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

Or doesn't have to be 45a. What size increase would you recommend to handle the load?

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Isn’t the issue overload protection on each “leg”? Those hobs need 13a fuse (apart from anything else)

13. NathanielC

NathanielC New Member

Okay so if I leave the 13a fuses with regular plug & sockets, it will be okay then?

The Happy Builder likes this.
  14. The Happy Builder

No, the circuit is overloaded, it can only supply two of those hobs.