Smoothing a rough/bumpy concrete kitchen floor in preparation for a stencil painted design

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bobbydevolved, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Bobbydevolved

Bobbydevolved New Member

We have recently moved into a new build with a concrete floor throughout the downstairs. The concrete is quite rough and pockmarked (though there’s no particularly large variations and it’s level). We were wanting to do a stencilled floor design painted onto the concrete in the kitchen but we’d need to get it smooth first. I was looking at self levelling compounds and have found a few that can be used as a final finish but I can’t seem to find out if we’d be able to paint on to them or if there’d be some other steps in between. Does anyone know what we’d have to do? Or alternatively is there a better/different way of getting the floor in a better condition to paint onto?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Cannot see why you cannot paint onto it so long as the correct type of paint is used...... Probably require masonry paint.

I have painted my front step with floor paint and my rear step (both concrete) with masonry paint, and the masonry paint has lasted a lot longer and this one gets all of the weather thrown at it. The front is pretty sheltered.

3. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Raw concrete / levelling compound is very obviously porous and prone to absorbing any liquid that it comes into contact with and will therefore retain and show things such as grease marks at an alarming rate. Once you have a surface you are happy with, I would seal it with a stone sealer of the type used on travertine or slate floors for example, then paint your design using a paint of your choice and seal the design in with a top coat of clear acrylic floor varnish.