Stud Wall - noggin

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by zoabell, Jan 4, 2018.

1. zoabell

zoabell New Member

Hello,

I am having some stud walls put into my house and the carpenter is quite junior.

He has told me there is no need for noggins as the walls are strong enough. Would this be possible? I haven't seen any walls without noggin when i google, so just wanted to check he wasn't cutting corners.

Many thanks,

2. Are they freestanding walls ? Floor to ceiling? What sizes?

How did you find the carpenter if he is junior? How many quotes did you get etc ?

3. zoabell

zoabell New Member

I have attached a photo of the walls.
    They are floor to ceiling.
    Well, the carpenter is a friend of my partners, maybe should have gone for a number of quote, but we just went with him.
    He is paying a fixed price for the whole lot so im a bit worried hes cutting corners to get the work done. But equally might not be!

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Studs at 400mm centres,& usually noggins, I always put in 2 rows, but I'm old sckool.:)

[​IMG]

5. I wouldn't even consider doing them that size without noggins, and i certainly wouldn't accept them.

The noggins help stop any twisting and increase overall strength, also for securing plasterboard and providing support for things like shelves and brackets.

In fact, if any likelihood of anything being fixed to the wall, then even more support would be a good idea at this stage

I would also put in 2 rows as Kiab says.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What centres are those studs as they look very wide apart? Definitely need one or two rows of noggins with that spacing otherwise the wall won't be rigid and plasterboard will sag/not be straight over time.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

More like 600mm centres.:(

9. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Studs at 16” centres then depending on ceiling height and what’s going in the room ( ie shelves/wardrobes kitchens etc) depends how many noggins or appropriate pattressing but always 3 round a door opening in the same location as the hinge position to stop lining springing and bouncing

10. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

600 centres minimum 3 noggins all round

KIAB likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Definitely need noggins. What no-one else has mentioned is the plasterboard is laid horizontally - no problem, but that joint needs support or you will end up with a crack along the joint - you can't rely on the skrim/skim to hold everything together!

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

16" centres - only if te board is 8'x4'. With most boards being 2400x1200 then 400 centres (or 600) is what should be used.

KIAB likes this.
  13. zoabell

zoabell New Member

Thank you for this advice, I will make sure noggins are added a suggested. Next time I will be sure you get a proper carpenter!

Thank you all.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Give him a chance if he's only starting out, he's probably been taught bad habits by other substandard carpenters, everyone has to learn. Noggins are a proper job, at least in my opinion, though you only really need one row through the centre. It's far more important that he's fixed the head and sole plates straight and true, and kept the bow/crown/bump in the studs the same way. You'd also be better off removing the plasterboard fixed horizontally and repositioning it vertically, so it's edges land on a stud and its supported all the way around.

KIAB likes this.
  15. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

have you thought about hanging stuff from it ie tv speakers etc so why you have the chance get the chippie to ply line one side aswell as noggins

16. Magjul

Magjul Member

My preference is double sole plate, (for skirting fixing, unnecessary if stuck MDF skirting), studs at 60mm centres with 15mm board or 400mm centres with 12.5mm board, double studs at door openings and changes of direction, always 2 rows of noggins.

KIAB likes this.
  17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

60 mm That's a bit close!! :p

18. Magjul

Magjul Member

Oops - quite sturdy though!!!