USB POWERED BATHROOM MIRROR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scott GALLACHER, May 12, 2022.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

If it’s the bathroom cabinet that @Bazza-spark linked to then it needs an adapter that the supplier of the bathroom cabinet does not seem to sell.

Currently, I cannot see a satisfactory method of installing an electrical supply to this cabinet, perhaps someone can come up with a solution that doesn’t involve buying adapters with an unknown provenance off the Internet.

Unless it’s a big bathroom and the cabinet is 3.0 metres (or 2.5 metres) from the bath or shower and can have a plug socket next to it other than a dedicated shaver socket with an isolation transformer.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I don't see it needs an adapter, just a USB point. The lead converts the USB supply to a supply for the LED's, hence the odd connector on one end.

3. The Happy Builder

From the suppliers website:
    • The USB port is included. A 5V USB adapter is not included.
    • This product does not require you to assemble, they are pre-assembled at the factory. The LED's use a USB cable. This meets LVD requirements and is safe for use in a steamy area. The input voltage is DC 5V and can be connected using a normal USB adapter (not supplied). Both 1 Amp and 2 Amp USB adapters are suitable.

4. Bazza-spark

5. The Happy Builder

Isn’t a USB port a socket?

Silver57 likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

Yes.

If you look the lead is supplied, one end plugs into the lights and the other needs to be plugged into a USB socket.

7. The Happy Builder

Any thoughts about installing USB sockets in bathrooms?

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Bazza-spark likes this.
  9. The Happy Builder

BS7671:2018 Regulations 701.512.3 and 701.55 require that the safety source of a SELV socket is out of zones 0, 1 and 2.

So that may be a correct answer in some circumstances, but there are limitations.

I certainly wouldn’t not agree to fit some of the bathroom cabinets and lights with built in shaver and USB sockets that are being sold, many of them don’t have isolation transformers on the shaver sockets and I disconnected a few whilst doing landlords EICRs and for people selling their homes, with their agreement to avoid an unsatisfactory EICR.

10. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

11. The Happy Builder

Hopefully the picture is for illustration only.

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The 24V output? I think they've used the same one for all the models!

13. Bazza-spark

Knowing how you like to be correct and accurate and seem to have an issue with anything I post, and as you got the cabinet wrong, and it appears you are unsure what a USB port is https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-usb-port-818166

Hope this helps you.

14. The Happy Builder

A little light reading:

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.o...et-outlets-incorporating-usb-charging-points/

There seems to be rather an issue with the lack of the separation in a lot of chargers required for the chargers to be classed as Separated Extra Low Voltage, comprising their safety.

I have USB chargers built into double plug sockets in my home, but I would be very wary of installing USB chargers in bathrooms and shower rooms.

15. Bazza-spark

From your replies it is you that needs the light reading, not me.

Again, whatever your problem is GET OFF MY BACK!!!!

16. The Happy Builder

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You have to enlighten me. Which charger, Legrand or Mk?
    what labelling is missing?

18. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The USB socket must have the same level of electrical separation that you have with a standard shaver socket, I have yet to see a USB socket that does. This is a case of the manufacturer and seller shifting the responsibility of compliance to the buyer, who does not have the necessary skills or knowledge to make that decision. My suggestion here is that the OP buys a 5v LiOn battery pack, the ones that you use to charge your phone, and uses that for the mirror lights.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, again, the device that provides that is what is called SELV. The S standing for SEPARATED. But I think you know that!

SELV USB sockets are available. In my earlier post #28 I linked to two SELV USB sockets, the Legrand and the MK Euro module.

20. The Happy Builder

@Bob Rathbone has nailed it, buy a USB battery power bank or send the mirror cabinet back.

BS7671:2018:A2:2022 Regulation 414.3 Sources for SELV and PELV sets out the requirements and without going all through it and arguing the toss, you will struggle to find a compliant USB charger or adapter that can be used as a source of SELV in a bathroom or shower room or a USB charger that is truly SELV.
    That leaves us treating the USB charging sockets as we would any other socket, so they cannot go within 2.5 metres of zone 1.

I could just it that in my bathroom, since the latest edition of the Wiring Regulations were published I could have an ordinary 13 amp socket with a built in USB charger for a hair dryer and charging IT equipment next to shaver socket, which I could not have last year. Because the distance to a socket has been reduced by 500 mm in the latest edition of the Wiring Regulations.

So never say never, but most bathrooms and shower rooms just aren’t big enough.