Vaillant e242 no power

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lapot, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Lapot

Lapot Member

Dear all
    My boiler has no power after I tried to connect external timer box. I have checked all the fuses and they are ok. I tried to install Horstmann C27 timer. I have connected NL1234 wiring on the Horstmann timer to NL2345 on the vaillant boiler then I realised there was no power on the boiler. No lights at all. I took off the timer completely then put all the wiring back how it was before still no power on boiler. Wall socket has power but nothing in the boiler. What do you think is the problem?

Regards

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

PCB fuse.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Lectrician

Vaillants have terminals 345 for external controls. You are not meant to use the LN. 3 is live, 5 is neutral, 4 is the live "demand/fire/call" return.

If you connected it as you said above, you would of shorted the L to N and blown the control fuse.

A C17 timer would be more appropriate as its single channel. You're not controlling the hot water.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is no No2 terminal, it's NL345 is right on Valliant, & manual confirms this, see page 20.

6. Lectrician

?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks Lec, you done what I couldn't do:oops:, poorly pc,sometimes your can't copy & paste,needs Windows 7 reinstalled.:(

And I corrected my inital error to the correct NL345.

8. Lectrician

I screen shotted on my iPad. I can't amend my post now, it's time locked to editing.

9. Lapot

Lapot Member

I think I connected wrongly.I have used NL. But 3 fuses on circuit board and I check them all. They are all ok. Is there another fuse that I can't see?what shall I do now?

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Perhaps one of the pcb track's has fizzled?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not that I'm aware of.

As JP has said, you might have fried the pcb, might even be something very simple gone wrong,your going to have to get engineer compentent with Valliant to sort the boiler, if it's the pcb then it's expensive, plus his time, going to get expensive for a old boiler.

Out of intrest why did you try to fit Horstman timer?
    Have yout got a single channel timer you could try to rule out the Horstman C27 being faulty.

12. Lapot

Lapot Member

Horstman c27 timer. Do you think I burned the circuit?

13. Lapot

Lapot Member

How come it burns the circuit without blowing the fuse ?

14. Lapot

Lapot Member

I m kind of new on this form. I post picture of circuit board. I notice a little brown mark. I m not sure what it is

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No idea with testing,I'm not there, but I still don't understand why you used a 2 channel timer, when a 1 channel is all that was needed.

One other thing is room stat is on, & not turned right down,so not calling for heat.

16. Lapot

Lapot Member

There is no power at all on boiler. I disconnected the timer and connected the cables as it was before. No power on boiler.

17. Lapot

Lapot Member

image.jpeg There is a brown mark bottom left hand side. Do you think it is the problem

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That doesn't look good, looks like a short.

19. Lapot

Lapot Member

image.jpeg This is the back of it top 2 is bit brown in that 3 resistant at the bottom.

20. Lapot

Lapot Member

What is the quickest solution. Do you think I can replace those. And any idea where can I buy those 2 resistants? Is there a name for them?