Electric supply to garage.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ed Armstrong, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Ed Armstrong

Ed Armstrong New Member

Hello just wanting a some advice.

I've recently installed 16mm SWA cable to my garage. I"m after installing the following into the garage and wondering what rough costs would be. I'm after supply and fitting of the following items.

1 x 2 way distribution board.
    2 x outdoor sockets.
    4 x metal clad double sockets.
    8 x LED lights
    And connections between the SWA onto house consumer unit.

I knows it's difficult to cost but looking for a ball park figure. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Good luck with finding someone to connect up a cable you have laid, unless it is clipped to the surface.

A ball park figure would be a few hundred plus materials

3. Ed Armstrong

Ed Armstrong New Member

Thanks it's been firmly secured to our garden wall.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hmm. 16mm. That’s big enough for most houses! What are you planning to power out there?
    And
    Where have you run the other end of the SWA to?

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

What is this obsession with refusing to touch cables that other people have laid?!

On a building site do you really think that the sparks runs in all cables themselves?

Do we refuse to connect up circuits during a board change because we've not run them personally?!

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Cos the s the rules I’m afraid

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

They're not though!

Show me the paragraph in the big blue book that says the sparks connecting the cable MUST have run it in themself!

8. Ed Armstrong

Ed Armstrong New Member

Not running any heavy equipment. Just want to have the extra boost if we decide to add a car charging point if needed in the future.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Fair enough. And…

10. Ed Armstrong

Ed Armstrong New Member

Sorry the cable runs from our house consumer unit along our garden wall about 50 metres and into the garage. Neither end of the cable is attached. That's firmly for the professionals.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Your electrician may decide that it is better to connect where the electric meter is, using a suitable switch fuse, rather than to the consumer unit. That way, any problems with the garage circuit doesn’t affect the house supply.
    You’ll need to check with him/her.

Ed Armstrong likes this.