Heating not working!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Samadamson59, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Samadamson59

Samadamson59 New Member

Hi Chaps,

Hoping to get some help from someone that knows considerably more than me!

We have an old school central heating system with a gas back boiler in the lounge, cold water in the loft and hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

We have a drayton up2 programmer in the kitchen which allows heating and hot water to be operated individually.

The issue is that the hot water is working perfectly and the heating is promptly coming on first thing in the morning when I switch it on however around midday the rads go cold and its refusing to come back on untill the next morning! (Water still fine)

I can only assume as we turn the hot water off after we shower that the hot water is heating the rads?

I was convinced the thermostat was faulty so have just replaced this however this shows the fire symbol to indicate heating needs to kick in to reach desired tempreture however nothing happens..

I was then convinced it was the mid position actuator on the three way valve that needed replacing (an british gas engineer replaced this a few years ago as it was the problem then) however still nothing.. it switches happily between water, mid and heating as you adjust programmer but it doesnt kick in..

I am now in too deep and to stubborn to allow my wife the satisfaction of calling an engineer out

Any ideas as to why the heating would not be firing independantly even when the programmer, thermostat and mid postion actioner are all telling it to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Sam

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How many times do you have set for heating to come on, on the programmer per day?

3. Samadamson59

Samadamson59 New Member

We actually dont use the timer function we just turn the programmer on at the switch and the select the on function which I believe is the manial overide?

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Motorised valve is possibly not triggering the boiler . You need to do some checking with a multimeter at the wiring centre to establish what's not functioning as it should.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If the DHW is heated by thermo syphon, i.e. no pump required and 38mm pipes to the tank from the boiler, it could just be a faulty pump.

6. davidnb

davidnb Member

Have you cleaned the system recently? Do you know that you have good circulation through the radiators? It could be that the boiler senses the difference between the flow and return water temperature. Once the system is hot this difference in temperature gets lower and the boiler cuts out because it cannot disappate the heat it is producing. Over night the system cools and the temperature between flow and return is large enough initially for the boiler to work normally. Good circulation is needed to ensure that the heat is disappated by the radiators so that the flow and return temperature difference is large enough for the boiler to fire up. Just a possibility for you to think about.

Teki likes this.