Historical invoices - more than 18 months ago

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Thomas Hamilton, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Thomas Hamilton

Thomas Hamilton New Member

I am trying to get a copy of an invoice from Sep2019 to have my drill repaired under warranty but SF are telling me that they can't access invoices from more than 18 months ago without knowing the order reference.

I originally placed an order online so I have that invoice in my emails, but when I was in-store for collection I upgraded the drill and paid extra money by debit card but the invoice for this updated purchase was not emailed to me.

Does anyone know of a way I could get hold of this invoice?

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Worth checking your card statement incase its there as a reference number but otherwise I would have thought Screwfix themselves would know best. They do say on the app that it’s 18months max without order number so possible it just can’t be done.

That aside your proof of payment is enough for your warranty unless of course there is no way at all of telling what it was you purchased. They would have had to refund the original and sold you the new one to correct their stock inventory. They won’t have just charged you the difference so if you have proof of purchase for the full amount of the new drill that should be enough. Even if you only have the balance value but that plus the original price is the price of the new one then most retailers would accept that. Screwfix are very reasonable in my experience.

3. NoelK388

NoelK388 New Member

That was a very useful piece of knowledge.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Does the "order history" page of the website only show the last 18 months too? It does allow you to specify a date range.

5. Thomas Hamilton

Thomas Hamilton New Member

So I was unable to get an order reference from my bank statement.

I’m not sure how this warranty works now because I registered for extended warranty with DeWalt, so I’m assuming that now my warranty with Screwfix has ended and that DeWalt would need to be convinced by my proof of purchase and not Screwfix?

I’ve contacted the local DeWalt repair shop to see if they are able to use the warranty certificate alone so I’ll see what they say.

The order history page on the Screwfix website only finds invoices from the last 18 months regardless of the dates entered unfortunately. :(

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

You’d need to check the terms and conditions but if you’ve registered it I can’t see that you have an issue. Ordinarily when you register an item you do so with its unique serial number. Of course if you only even registered the first drill and not the upgrade then you haven’t got this one registered at all.

Warranties generally aren’t worth anything in the sense that legally an item should last a ‘reasonable’ amount of time. Unfortunately there is nothing specific about what reasonable means. Understandable as the expectations of performance and longevity of a drill costing £1,000 are different to one costing £10.

if you’re getting no joy with screwfix then go straight to dewalt. They will often just direct you back to the retailer as it is they that you have a contract with…. Which brings you back to where you started. If it was an item that only screwfix sell then they can’t really deny responsibility. If lots of people sell them (like a DeWalt drill for instance), then the onus is on you to prove it was ‘their’ drill that is being returned to them.

Hopefully you have this actual drill registered in which case you should be fine with the dewalt repair shop.