lost skills

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lojo, Jun 1, 2008.

1. lojo

lojo New Member

What housebuilding carpentry skills are lost or not taught anymore?

For example, I doubt they teach tusk tennons and scarf joints at collage these days?

Also met a young chippy recently who had never been showen how to frame a basic roof

2. parana

parana New Member

Hi

Certainly 3years ago a tusk tenon was one of the joints I had to do in the first year. I branched off into bench, although bench joiners and carpenters shared the theory class. in the second year the carpenters were doing roofs, whether they had to lengthen a ridge board with a scarf joint I dont know, but they were mentioned in theory....

P

3. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Try and use a tusk tenon on site and all you will hear from b/c or the agent would be:- "Put a Jiffy hanger on that"

Cutting skirting or architrave by hand, it's simple enough but there's plenty that have never even attempted it.

4. Porkie

Porkie New Member

I started college last September doing a City and Guilds in Basic carpentry and Joinery.......a month later i got a job as a bench joiner (trainee obviously) and have loved doing it ever since.

I'm 29 and completly changed my life around.

The course teaches me how to make all the various joints etc but the only downside i find is everything is done by hand.....mallet (not hammer as i'm informed) and chisel with a tenon saw added in here and there.....i just find that i'll probably never use the skills of using hand tools in the 'real world' but its nice to learn anyhow

No, i'm not one of those people jumping on the band wagon to try and make loads of money in the construction trade, i've done it because i enjoy it.....although a pay-rise would help haha

I'm hoping one day to become competant enough to start working for myself and maybe move to Oz or Canada

5. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

Seen quite a few lads with no idea about grinding and sharpening. All blued edges, honing too steep or not lapping the backs of the blades.

6. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

the problem is that alot of the old methods are taught and new methods are missed out. Then the old methods that are needed are only taught in theory. Appertices are better off getting some good joinery books and teaching themselves in addition to what is taught in college. I'm almost 25 and think i know a hell of alot for my age but also know that i dont know everything and the people that think they do often know **** all

7. murrmac

murrmac Member

nostalgia isn't what it used to be imo

8. dual193

dual193 New Member

I have been at this game for 20+ years and find all the new methods very good but sometimes its not practical to bring all the de-walts, etc. to a job and a good old jack plane saw, set of chisels, and a butty in yer bag can see me at work all day long.. I have been on some jobs and some of the younger chipies are still unloading and setting up their gear when I am well into the job..
    Don't get me wrong I am no ludite but sometimes all the gear that is supposed to speed up the job just slows you down.

9. chip off the block

totally agree with that dual. it is worth the time setting up to do the same thing over and over but if just doing it the once why bother with setting loads of fancy gear up when simple hand tools will do.

10. lojo

lojo New Member

yep chippy john, never used a tusk tennon on site so see no real reason to teach it, however its a shame this old knowledge will be lost in a few generations, even if there is no practical reason to keep it alive

Yes, chisel sharpening seems to be a dying art, cheap chisels will get a job done and almost seem disposable, just like saws

agree with power tool thought, I am well kitted up, but often get stuck it without setting kit up.

11. chip off the block

tusk tenons were taught when i did my first year 8 years ago

12. JackChippy

JackChippy New Member

Im doing a cource now and tusk tennons and pitching a roof are taught at my college but only to the students who are ahead in their work. But sharpening chisels is taught in the first week.

13. paultingtong

paultingtong New Member

to be fair now days college is a peace of p i s s

i started doing my plumbing and heating last year which i find easy to be fair i get bored very quick not enough of a challange now days i dont think

and the other thing is when i first started college for joinery and carpentry yrs back now it was a 3year course now all the courses are only 2yrs

i been doing joinery now for about 10yrs and i still learn new stuff every day which am sure everyone does i persnoly think 2yrs aint enough

i rember when i left college i new jack **** well i thought i did like but then experince teaches you a lot

14. Porkie

Porkie New Member

well, i've just finished my 1st year in basic carpentry and joinery.

and what did i learn? absolutly nothing that will help me in the real world of carpentry and joinery!

I started as a bench joiner at the same time and have learnt allsorts, and nothing i learnt at college is going to help me out. Guess the only thing i did learn which was on the first day, is how to sharpen a chisel!

We had to make everything by hand and lets face it, not many people do or need to do that sort of thing anymore.....everyone uses machines or some sort of powertool. Don't get me wrong, its interesting to make various joints by hand but is it really worth it?!

One good thing though. My misses bought me a set of marples Chisels to say well done! Ace

Party on people :)

15. murrmac

murrmac Member

>
    One good thing though. My misses bought me a set of
    marples Chisels to say well done! Ace
    >

I would have expected a set of Japanese chisels, or at the very least a set of Two Cherries...

16. Porkie

Porkie New Member

......maybe when i actually know what i'm doing!

17. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

various joints by hand but is it really worth it?!

Sure is. For one thing it helps you understand why you're doing whatever it is you're doing. The other thing is that knowing the old way can get you out of jail more times than you'd think.

18. Porkie

Porkie New Member

unfortunately they forget to tell you why your making each type of joint.....they just gove you the worksheet and off you skoot and make it. its only been when i've asked that they explain

i enjoy it lots just wish it was a little more indepth. Still, head back for my 2nd year in Sept :)