products to measure mitres

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bluepeter, May 8, 2006.

1. bluepeter

bluepeter New Member

Scrit,
    I have taken your word for it and invested in the TREND anglefix,Should be here soon.
    While we're on the subject of angles-Is there anything better than just a protractor and compass for working out angles on hip roofs etc..... In college we're only allowed to use traditional methods but there must be something a bi more up to date?

2. lozo_no1

lozo_no1 New Member

Which ever way u decide 2 do it internal mitres should be scribbed otherwise the joint will seperate. it wont happen if u scribe it.

3. trustedman

trustedman New Member

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

One of these would prove useful.
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp?dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=5&searchText=24972&x=15&y=2
    This is an improvement of the original Canadian MAC mitre board which turns a circular saw into a radial arm saw (or router)
    I saw a demonstration of this model on QVC on Sunday and it has gearing underneath between the mitre arm and a bar on the left that can be set with a bevel, included with the board. This is set to the wall angle and when the side bar is aligned with it the mitre fence bisects the angle similar to the MagicMitre mentioned by Evans.
    I had already used a similar home made jig for cutting trenches with my router.

5. grunt

grunt New Member

you want an american , speed square , or roofing square , looks like a triangle , a lot easier than our traditional framing square and lock nuts set up , if you manage to get a new one it ll come with a booklet giving full instructions

6. grunt

grunt New Member

in any case you don't need to work out the angles , 2 sliding bevels , a good level and a practised eye , oh and scrit , i always preferred my stanley black prince to any of that diston tatt

7. Scrit*

Scrit* New Member

Speed Squares look like this. Can't fiond anyone selling them, but you do see them around so there must be someone.

As for a Black Prince, nah, not a patch on a pre-war Disston or Spear and Jackson ;)

8. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

B&Q were doing them about a year ago,(so i'm told).

9. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

they still sell them.ive got the simpler version,great tool for roofing