Replacing illuminated mirror in bathroom - can I do it?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kimura, May 7, 2022.

1. Kimura

Kimura New Member

We currently have an illuminated mirror in our bathroom and I want to replace it with a similar one, but ideally this time with a shaver socket for charging up toothbrushes etc

I was going to just get one and wire it in as the current one is, but to be on the safe side, before I get going on it, I was hoping to get a few Qs answered:

1. Can I do this myself legally or do I need an electrician because it's in a bathroom?
    2. Does the addition of a shaver socket in the mirror change anything re: safety, regulations?
    3. Do I need to do anything special, or just replace it, wired the same?

It will be installed 40cm above the sink
    At this point I don't know if it's powered from a spur off the lighting circuit or ring main
    The house's consumer unit has RCD protection on all circuits

Many thanks

2. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

I can’t talk about the legalities or your skill level so I am unable to answer all your points.
    However:
    Toothbrush/ shaver socket outlets are fine in a bathroom as they are fed from isolating transformers which minimise the risk to the user.
    Be carful when selecting your mirror with a shaver outlet as it may not be continuous rated which means it is ok for being used for say 30 mins with your shaver but it can not be used for 8 hours powering your toothbrush charger.
    It may say on the mirror spec if it is continuous rated (mine did) if not you will need to ask the question to the manufacturer. I had to rule out a couple of mirrors as the transformer was only 30min rated.

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select