TS55 Able to cut 45d mitre in Ply?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by two by one, Nov 26, 2007.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

I have a job to make an open box from 25mm birch ply for an office. These 500mm corners need to be mitred lengthways at 45d. Is it possible to do this with a Festool TS55 saw? Could be my exscuse to buy one! Thanks.

2. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

Better get the cheque book out then, as it will cut up to 37mm @45degrees. You'll never look back....

3. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Make sure that you cut some test pieces first and put them together to check they joint at exactly 90 deg. The angle gauge is not as accurate as the depth gauge and may need a little bit of fiddling to get spot on.

When cutting an angle of more than about 30 deg you have to make sure you keep firm pressure on the sole plate to keep it running true on the guide rail. After a few practice cuts it will be easy.

I've done a load of sculpture plinths using veneered 18mm ply with mitred corners done with my Festool. Much quicker than any other way though not as strong as using a router and lock mitre cutter which I have used for plinths where strength was more critical

4. two by one

two by one New Member

I thought I could reinforce the mitre with biscuits. There will also be an internal support for the box. What concerned me was being able to get it spot on...

5. lamello

lamello New Member

An old boy showed me how to glue up long mitres spot on by taping the joints before you glue up. top results and no mess