weekend wrk,

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jj-jamie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Dead right evo.

2. makita49

makita49 New Member

I pay my way and i do foreigners im sorry but if i fit a kitchen i pay my tax then if the customer asks me to fit a couple of doors then i will for cash i wont declare it im sorry but everyone has done it at some point and if they havent thn there lying.

3. fooman

fooman New Member

How would you like it if your boss said "sorry son
    i've got someone on the fiddle to do your job for
    half the price, you're fired"

report him to the inland revenue :^O

4. makita49

makita49 New Member

Well said fooman :)

5. fooman

fooman New Member

i just done a full rewire and quoted 5k + vat.

customer said i could have the job if i accepted cash to save him paying vat.

what could i say ;)

done the job and a nice 5k in the sky rocket :)

would be a mug to turn it down as someone else would have it.

6. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

spot on fooman.what's jobsworth on about weekend warriorsit's called putting bread on the table gimp.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

fair enough you run your business however you want. course life is about earning money I just choose to do it in a proper manner. if you have to pander to people who are defrauding or need to defraud in order to "put bread on the table" then you are obviously scrabbling around for work desperate to earn enough to survive. I dont. as i say I have a full order book stretching into the distance without having to defraud anyone. what is wrong with running a business in the correct manner. nothing. what is wrong with not declaring? a lot. you are ripping off proper businesses by undercutting them. you obviously have no concept of running a proper business. as for calling me a gimp says more about you than me.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"i just done a full rewire and quoted 5k + vat.

customer said i could have the job if i accepted cash to save him paying vat.

what could i say

done the job and a nice 5k in the sky rocket

would be a mug to turn it down as someone else would have it. "

It's hardly the same as weekend workers who are not in business, you are defrauding the tax man not me, but word travels fast and the next guy who offers you cash for a nod and a wink may just well be one of her majestys finest.
    Also what the hell do you do with 5k, you can't bank it so i only assume you will pi55 it up the wall or waste it in some other way.
    If you are self employed you need to charge 5k for the job but if you were quoting against someone in full employment who quoted half the price coz him and a mate were doing it over a couple of weekends and getting all the gear "gratis" from work you wouldn't be happy.
    It makes me wonder about the people on here moaning on about cheap polish (etc) labour taking jobs off them and then say it's ok to fiddle and nick jobs off people like me.
    Cake and eat it?

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Audi I believe you and me may well be in a minority here!

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I think your right golden. However i don't think either of us will ever convince them to look at the bigger picture.
    It's simple the less people doing "weekend work" the more for the self employed and when the demand increases then your work will be worth more, it's basic!
    Never mind i still live for those posts entitled "i did a fiddle job for a guy and now he wont pay me boo hoo" they give me no end of pleasure ;)

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Absolutely. i asked you awhile back what a reasonable ex vat price for eligna 800 is did you find out? I buy loads of flooring so i want to make sure what i am buying it at is competitive

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

You did and i forgot to check, sorry i will do it tomorrow.
    What you paying at the min (or would you rather i tell you first lol)

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

sometimes for the odd small job ie an internal door for a regular customer, it is easyer to take cash at full price than type out a full invoice etc etc.

I will not work for less for cash but i will certainly fit the odd very small job in to the end of the day for it. If they want an invoice etc it would join the normal waiting list ie (4 months or more ahead)

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I am not against people in self employment running their business anyway they see fit, if they want to take a chance and swerve the tax on the odd job thats up to them.
    I just don't see the point in hiding big chunks of money off cash jobs as these days it's very hard to spend it.
    I am more against people who are employed by a firm or unemployed going round undercutting us self employed, of course we can't compete because we have all the expenses that go with self employment so it isn't a level playing field, we have no chance of beating their quote, they just do it for beer tokens.

15. fooman

fooman New Member

how is it hard to spend ?

never heard of holidays or new cars ?

16. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

So you are self employed and you have an unaccounted for 25 grand car sitting on your drive, maybe a case of do not pass go!
    Also if you try to drop 25 grand in your local jaguar dealers hand they will report it.
    I'd rather have a 20 grand jag sitting on the drive all mine from tax paid earnings ................. and sleep, like a log!
    Govt getting 5h1t hot on money laundering.

17. fooman

fooman New Member

simple.

you borrow 25k on your mortgage for various improvments etc etc but do the improvments with your cash.

then the 25k you borrowed on the mortgage you use to buy the car and holidays.

so if mr taxman wants know where the money came for the car you have a legitimate paper trial to show where the money came from ;)

18. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Doh, so then you are paying interest on the money you borrow, might as well just pay the tax!
    So you borrow 25k say over 20 years on your mortgage @ 5.99% total repayment ooooooh i think it is £42950.40, nah i'll just pay me tax!

19. fooman

fooman New Member

the money you have borrowed on the mortgage is really the money you are spending on the house. Like most people do !!

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

dress it up anyway you want but at the end of the day you are paying 42k for 25k.
    I'd rather pay the tax spend whats left and not have the other £180 a month to pay to the bank.