LED or CFL downlights?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wb1627, Sep 23, 2012.

1. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

What is the preferred option for a new installation and which one would you recommend, to go into a kitchen?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Personal preference. I like the new LED's Expensive though -  but they do last forever and you don't get a hot head! :)

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Go for decent Osram LED 's if you can afford it. Not cheap but very good.

4. the flying fig

the flying fig New Member

I have tried to replace my bathroom and kitchen lights twice now , with the best warm white LEDs I can find. The effect was awfull, the bathroom looked like a dim morgue. Rather than warm white, ghostly grey would be more accurate. Experiment by all means, but don't spend to much.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

You obviously didn't try hard enough and still bought cheap tat rather than the more costlier ones.

I hear this over and over, "We've bought a good make blah blah blah but they were no good in the end"

When what they really ment was we looked at the decent stuff but couldn't 'understand' why they were so much more than the ***** we ended up buying!

Try to give a Flying Fk next time Figgy Boy and buy these!

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

JCC all in LED downlights, only way to do it

However, I don't like the push in loop in/out connections with the clicky cable clamp. . . .screams a bit Amstrad

Light output is very impressive

8. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, very useful. I assume if I find a downlight I like and fit an LED bulb this will suffice?

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There are things to consider, but, basically yes. Mains voltage LEDs are straight swap GU10. However, MR16/GU 5.3 SELV equivalents require drivers with them, similar to a transformer. I believe they are being sold as kits.

10. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

It would be a mains volt LED GU10. Would it matter if it was 4 or 6 watt?

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Not as far as heat goes but it does/can matter on size.

Some LED lamps are significantly shorter in body length at the smaller wattages so would sit recessed in a standard GU10 fitting and look rubbish.

7 watt Kosnic LEDS which CEF sell have a body length of 71mm so look fine in a standard GU10 fitting or a CFL GU10 fitting, if a 3/4 watt Lamp is used then it sits 8mm or so back which blocks the light spread and looks ****.

12. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Unless you have a GU10 fitting with a floating holder where the lamp is held in by a spring as the 12v ones are.  I prefer the floating holder type especially now with the variety of leds on the market.

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Good point Wal!  ;)

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think Joe Public have misunderstood the LED market entirley. As is always the case price tends to govern choice but in this market, price reflects performance. The cheapo 1W LEDs have been purchased en masse and unforunately Joe Public thinks that's what LEDs are all about. Whereas in essence LEDs are now giving fabulous light output and lasting 15 to 20 times longer than the bulbs thay are replacing. It is all about the marketing. Prices will fall as demand increases but unfortunately I don't think we are ever going to see the low prices that tungsten filament bulbs were retailed at it is simply not possible to produce and retail an LED at those prices due to the high amount of technology used in their manufacture. Maybe £5 or £6 will be the bottom out price for a decent 7W LED. We will have to wait and see.

16. brickers911

brickers911 New Member

Same for us - we have put LED in kitchen and looks so dim !   Hate the effect.  The old Halogen lighting was far brighter.   We did not buy cheap LED's....

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What was the wattage you used? If it was less than 5W you have bought the wrong ones.