New home - trying to figure out complex heating system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimmyeatworld28, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jimmyeatworld28

Jimmyeatworld28 New Member

Hi all,

Would really value any expert views as I am completely new to this. I recently purchased a home (recently refurbished by the previous owner) with a seemingly complex heating system. Please could I get views on how it works?

Devices:
    1. Telford unvented horizonal cylinder
    2. Valliant Ecotec Plus 637
    3. Drayton controller LP112
    4. Radiators in each room – no thermostat, but with “dials”
    5. Underfloor heating (ground floor)
    6. Magnaclean device connected to the boiler

Odd observations:
    1. The Valliant boiler does not show “how water” on its screen, but shows "heating". However is seems to be running hot water as well. I presume this heats the cylinder rather than works as a combi-boiler?
    2. The Drayton controller has two features – controlling hot water and controlling heating. However I’m not sure why hot water needs to be controlled?
    3. There is a ticking sound in the top floor bedroom that occurs occasionally (seems to appear most start in the morning and evenings, but may be coincidental). I’m not sure if this is caused by the boiler or pressure from the cylinder.
    Questions:
    1. How does the system work?
    2. How does the water in the cylinder get heated? Should I turn off the immersion heater? (it was turned on by “default”)
    3. How can I maximise efficiency?
    4. Can I turn off the Drayton controls for hot water? Or should I make it timed?
    5. What should I do in terms of annual maintenance?
    6. How can I solve the ticking sound, or at least diagnose the issue?
    7. How can I find out how the underfloor heating works (i.e. gas or elec)?
    Thanks very much in advance
    Greg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valliant Ecotec Plus 637 is a system boiler.

Shouldn't need immersion heater on, as boiler will heat water in cylinder.

Unvented horizonal cylinder should get annual service,from heating engineer who has a G3 Certificate to work on unvented cylinders.

And

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Jimmyeatworld28, you really need a local gas heating technician (not a sales person) who has vaillant,ufh,g3 & drayton control experience. Just to walk you through how it all works and be prepared to ask questions & take notes.
    if you can get on with this person,think of them as a friend. Who knows when you have a heating hot water emergency event you want some one who actually understands your system ;)

4. Could you not ask the Estate Agents who you bought the house through, if they could ask the vendors to supply you with the Plumbers details who installed the system.
    It could be beneficial for him and for you, to service the boiler and megaflow yearly and for any breakdowns. Reimburse him for his time showing you how to work the system if you carry through my idea.

The Teach likes this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I am wondering if you have electronic heads on the TRV's? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] All the heads shown are electronic and can be programmed to head to different temperatures at different times of the day or week, some connect to a hub or thermostat and some connect direct to your phone, some are stand alone, often you need to down load an app to use them. The last one shown comes in a BlueTooth version as well. Take a photo can upload it then some one may realise what it is.