Repairing felted roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pqr, Mar 17, 2013.

1. pqr

pqr New Member

Hi,

I have a large shed, 20ft x 10ft covered in stone covered green felt.   This has been damaged by overhanging trees scratching it.   Is there any paint type compound I can use to repair the holes, or should I bite the bullet and recover? 

If I recover and use nails is it right that I blob mastic in between every place I nail?    Or better seal every overlap?

If I recover is it best to take off the old felt before putting on the new?   It is basicallty sound, except for the holes :-(

Under the felt are Stirling boards, which are now wet in some places.   Do I have to let these dry out before I repair?

If I have t let them dry how do you stop it raining every *****ing day?

Regards

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

in the best circumstances i would advice you to removed the old felt as the new felt needs as smooth a surface as possible ( this is often overlooked though laziness) the stirling board does need to be dried out ( i have done this in an emergency with a blow torch) but obvious care needs to be taken. then personally for a shed of this size i would recommend felt with an adhesive back,you heat it as you roll it out. failing that i my opinion on the silicone idea is that silicone has a shelf life and i feel it is relied upon to freely, i prefer not to put any holes through a felt roof because its there to keep the weather out. saying that i have stuck clouts through it on the customers request.

3. pqr

pqr New Member

Thanks Mick - I thought that would be the case to remove old stuff, just being lazy, but I understand why from what you say.

Not clear on the fixing of the felt though  - you say you prefer not to put nails in and do not like silicone - Is that becuase you only recommend the heated stuff?

Thanks again

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

felt is a bad material for long term reliable weather proofing - have you considered roofing with a box profiled steel ?

more expensive but you can fit it and forget it, strip the felt off back to the OSB, cover with a breather membrane, batten to create an airflow void and cover with box profile

5. surfermick

surfermick New Member

i have used the roll on stuff, it usually has an overlap edge that allows for some bitchamen type felt adhesive to be spread and then you press the two pieces together. this is best done on a very warm sunny day (New:)Zealand)  perhaps. i personally prefer not to pierce the felt for obvious reasons and i also prefer to try and steer clear of sylicone, although sylicone has a great part to play in building and maintaining property i agree, but it usually has a shorter life span than the material it is protecting. i will say that it would help to waterproof the hole around the clout but thats only needed if you put a hole in the felt.

6. surfermick

surfermick New Member

chooses, there are always chooses in life, as Sean says:)

7. pqr

pqr New Member

Thank you all.   Steel sheets look good, and not too expensive if they are going to last forever.   As the rain is persisting dow at the moment, and looks like it will for the rest of the week, I have time to investigate.

Thanks again

8. Theres a few ways you could tackle the roof, for a top job thats going to last, and capable of diy is epdm in one piece glued down to the boards.
    Another diy is use the self adhesive green mineral.
    More pro job is torch on felt.
    Theres no need for any sealants or fixings.

9. getroofingquotes

getroofingquotes New Member

Steel sheets are lightweight materials which has different designs and texture to choose from. They have a lasting value and can last longer with a little maintenance.