Royalist or anti royalist?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ind spark, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Not really that interested in the Jubilee myself, we are having a street party I'll go for the beer:) more than the queen.

Oh and I like 4 days off work obviously.

Thoughts.....

2. Sneeze

Sneeze Member

I read it’s costing the tax payer 1 billion, which is about £40 per household. Would rather see that going to the needy to pay for energy and food.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Is it? Which fairy thought up that number?

Cost of the armed forces? Not much - just travel to London if not based there.

Cost of flypast - yes there is a cost, but the flying hours cout towards the training the pilots need to keep their licence and certification. If they were not doing that, they would be buzzing the highland glens or gun ship attacks on Dartmoor. So, net cost, minimal.

Increased tourist revenues - and the 20% VAT the government takes fom that. It probably offsets most if not all of the additional costs.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  4. Ind spark

Could we not just keep the attractions without the people inside them?

You still get the tourists without paying for a family to live it up.

5. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

The Times In 2020/21 put the cost to the country of the Monarchy at £345 million per year...that was everything from lost revenues on the Duchy estates, our direct taxes,£89 million a year, the cost of security etc etc.
    Seems a tad expensive for what we get...some hand waving and you've all done very well...basically its gemma collins freeloading with I am a celeb routine.

Define working royal for me ....

6. Ind spark

Taking a private jet to 50 different countries a year, visiting some poor people maybe even doing a silly dance with them then having a nice holiday.

Nice work if you Can get it

7. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Me, I'll keep the Queen. Every country has a figurehead. I'd rather have HRH any day over a president who is politically affiliated.
    Every US president back to Carter has been a self serving villain. Look at that ****-pot Napoleon the French have got, or that Canadian french wannabe communist- all of them so desperate to stamp their name on things. Can you imagine what president tony blair would have been like. He was an insufferable **** as prime-minister, and he wouldn't have been improved by having a bigger title.

Whether I'll think so well of whoever comes after Lizzie, I'll have to wait and see.

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Doesn't work like that... People get excited over celebrities...

Look at the idiots who obsess about the Kardashians! :confused:

9. Ind spark

You make a good point.

10. Ind spark

True, I don't get it myself.