what size boiler,

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tavspeed, Jan 11, 2007.

1. tavspeed

tavspeed New Member

installing a 16 rad central heating system,all the rads add up to 28kw,the boiler is going in the cellar and the house has 4 floors,so the boiler has got to pump a long way,flow & return in 22mm,and as close to rads as possible in 22mm, 15mm to connect to rads,thinking of using a worcester 36kw condensing combi,will this be upto the job,as british gas told the customer there isnt a combi on the market big enough to do the job !!!,this is a bigger system than i normally do,so dont have much experience on system this size,thanks in advance for your help.

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

how many bathrooms/showers have you got?

3. tavspeed

tavspeed New Member

just the one bathroom,with electric shower which will be changed later for a thermostatic valve.

4. tavspeed

tavspeed New Member

anybody any thoughts on this,or do worcester have a helpline,have got my corgi man booked for next week,so need to order boiler a.s.a.p,thanks in advance

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I would fit a 40kW W-B or 38kW Glow Worm for a better flow rate and it will clearly heat the house and a rapid warm up too. You may have to fit an extra pressure vessel, depending on heating system volume, a point often overlooked. As it is in the basement, space for it is probably not an issue.

6. tavspeed

tavspeed New Member

yeah will have to calculate the water volume in the system,last one i did had 11 rads & towel rail,which came to about 70 litres,i put in a worcester 30kw condensing boiler,which would do 100 litres,will the bigger combi have allowance for more water volume,if i have to put in a expansion vessel,are these t'eed into either the flow or return.