Adhesive for aloominum.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by devil's advocate, Jun 16, 2006.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

I need to laminate a few plates of aluminium together to make it up to a thicker block - about 25mm thick. (It'll be easier to shape this way, rather than starting off with a single thick block). Size of plates will be about 250 x 150mm.

I'm going to use countersunk aluminium rivets so's it'll all blend in when filed and wet 'n dried, but was wondering if there was an adhesive I could also use (to be shooor, to be shooor) that's successful with ali?

Thanks.

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

I've used good old fashioned 2 part araldite in the past to strengthen an engine mounting on the top of a bike engine.

Worked a treat and sealed the oil leak......

3. dj.

dj. New Member

two coats of pva, make sure it's tacky before sticking it together, and make sure you stick the green side of the aluminium. ;)

4. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Evo-stik multi-purpose impact adhesive.

5. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

I find Pritt-Stick does the job in most cases.
    Failing that BlueTac
    Good luck chopper

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Crashed your Lotus Exige DA and fixing it on the cheap?
    Lotus use epoxy resin/rivets for their aluminium chassis.
    Might be able to Google for the precise spec?
    Tra-Bond 970-1N1 (whatever that is) has high AL/AL shear strength - apparently!

7. devil's advocate

Thanks for the variety of replies...

Epoxy might be a goer. Crashed my Lotus? I wish.

Actually it's for windscreen brackets for an NG TF, a kit styled loosely on old Squires; lovely flared wings and stuff. The company who manufactured them went bust many years ago, so I need to make them up myself.

Epoxy and rivets it'll be, then.

Many thanks.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Gripfill.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are popping them together, that should be good, so almost any glue will help tremendously. Popped together, I'd use evostick.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. Mr GrimNasty

Nice project.
    [​IMG]

11. Mr GrimNasty

12. devil's advocate

Mr HA. I'll be using countersunk rivets - tap tap tap... so that they'll be invisible when it's all finished. I think I'll go for epoxy as the adhesive as it'll squeeze out to virtually nothing when clamped before it sets - I think contact adhesive would leave a thicker layer?

Kandy, that's the exact same car - except mine's a very tatty, brush-painted, windscreen-less, interior-less, 13" Sierra-wheel clad sad clone of that marque :(

Perhaps one day...

13. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

re-spray it in 2k.

14. Mr Right

Mr Right New Member

[Edited by: forum admin]

15. devil's advocate

Ah, Mr Right - I knew there was something missing from this thread. As useful a contributuon as always.

Pb - I agree, 2-pack is ideal, but budget constraints may dictate a different choice. I have a cunning plan...

16. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

> I have a cunning
    plan...

so did Baldrick.

17. devil's advocate

Yes, but mine won't be as good.

18. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

3M Scotchweld DP190

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I looked back at your opening post post, and you are quite correct. You are using countersunk rivets.

You know, I was thinking pop-rivets. I'm still not really clear what part you are making. Not that it matters much.

Keep it up.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. devil's advocate

Hi Mr HA.

It's not very visible in the photo, but if you look at Kandy's link, it's the bracket that joins the windscreen frame to the body sides (where the wing mirror is attached.)

Appreciate your help - as always (well, with one exception... ;))