Crappy B&Q

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Chippy Mintern, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Chippy Mintern

Chippy Mintern New Member

Just need to blow some steam off here, this is the third time this year I have fitted out a kitchen using customer supplied materails from B&Q, and without fail this is the hird time in a row that the worktops have either been damaged on the moulded edge, or in the latest job, a hairline scratch (plus another damaged edge further along the top). I thought I could work around the damaged edge by strategically placing the edge where I will cut the masons mitre, hence cutting it out. But I failed to see the hairline scratch (about 300mm long) until the light hit it when placing it in position.

To add insult to injury, someone head marked in black felt pen (black marble worktop) along side the scratch, therefore either this worktop had been returned, or it had been marked up by B&Q staff !!!!

All 3 worktops on this job were damaged, AFTER being packed in cardboard, as there were no signs of damage to the packaging in the location of the actual damage to the worktops.

It makes me feel like putting a surcharge on jobs according to the supplier, as the worktop is one of the major reasons why customers want a new kitchen, and to fit a damaged worktop no matter how small detracts from the customers satisfaction, and my time where I end up rearraging work.

End of rant !!!!!

2. I include a condition on my quote that states that I reserve the right to charge for my time if I'm delayed as result of customer supplied materials being unusable.

3. !!

!! Active Member

I just add £250 to a fit if they are getting the stuff from B&Q because it will take a extra day to fit

I've had problems mitring the worktops from there because they have bowed, only B&Q can produce a 40mm thick manmade board that bows

4. Boff

Boff New Member

Actually Wilsonart make their worktops along with Wickes' and they are indeed ****. Bloke round here sells them and he buys them in at a fiver a piece - buys a **** load though at time.

5. kitchentone

kitchentone New Member

Whenever I do a b&q kitchen ( and I seem to be doing alot lately) I allways tell the customer to buy there tops elsewhere (durapel, omega etc) as thay do cost more to buy but its the difference between a rolls royce and a cortina. b&Q tops have got to be in the top 3 of bad worktops

6. Benbo

Benbo New Member

I've fitted a **** load of B&Q kitchens and they have always been spot on, ive had one worktop damged (small scratch) and it was replaced in less than an hour

7. mj

mj Guest

I've fitted a **** load of B&Q kitchens and they have always been spot on.

You must either be living in a dream or very very lucky!
    BnQ kitchens are a pile of ****, low grade chipboard & mfc, **** hinges etc etc
    It's only fit for chav houses where they wouldn't know quality if it kicked them up the ****!

8. Benbo

Benbo New Member

lmao, ill have to keep rubbing my rabbits foot then

9. panlid

panlid New Member

well ive not fitted a bnq kitchen for a few years but have put one in this week. weve been waiting for the worktops 3 weeks as they have been getting to bnq damaged. luckily i had loads of other stuff in the house to get into.
    anyway ide forgotten just what poor qwuality the boards are. really soft faces and i can gaurentee it will look **** this time next year.
    anyway im throwing the w/tops on tommorow with 3 scribes. will let you know what the boards are like. good thing is that the customer has supplioed so if i cant cet a flat joint it is their problem for skimping.

10. panlid

panlid New Member

well ive not fitted a bnq kitchen for a few years but have put one in this week. weve been waiting for the worktops 3 weeks as they have been getting to bnq damaged. luckily i had loads of other stuff in the house to get into.
    anyway ide forgotten just what poor qwuality the boards are. really soft faces and i can gaurentee it will look **** this time next year.
    anyway im throwing the w/tops on tommorow with 3 scribes. will let you know what the boards are like. good thing is that the customer has supplioed so if i cant cet a flat joint it is their problem for skimping.

11. owen

owen New Member

fitting a b&q kitchen at the moment, did the worktops today and have to say they were spot on, i have had more bowed worktops from howdens than b&q to be honest.

the customer i'm working for works for b&q and still refused to use their fitting service, speaks volumes i think

12. Boff

Boff New Member

The quality of the units from B&Q is abysmal and the majority of the doors are the same - it doesn't help that they nearly all come slightly damaged on the corners either. I'm sorry but there's no reason in this day and age to have crappy looking white units with a walnut door for example - it just looks poor. They can't even be arsed to use 18mm all round - they choose to use 18mm and 15mm.

Did one a couple of weeks ago and the drawer fronts are spiked to make it easier to see where to screw the drawer box to it - fair enough but the idiots had spiked the front of the drawer front instead of the reverse!?!?! Obviously someone makes these for B&Q but still it's a pretty stupid thing to do - god knows how many it happened on.

As for the worktops - they're just Wilsonart - same people who make 'em for Wickes. A guy who sells them round here buys them in at a fiver a 3m board - he buys a lot but still it shows you the quality to expect.

A good fitter can make a B&Q kitchen look resonably good but put it against a kitchen of quality and it's quite funny just how **** there stuff is.

13. Boff

Boff New Member

Didn't realise I'd already replied and put virtually the same thing :)

14. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

A good fitter can make a B&Q kitchen look resonably good

And conversely, a **** fitter can make a decent quality kitchen look ****!

15. Boff

Boff New Member

A good fitter can make a B&Q kitchen look resonably
    good

And conversely, a **** fitter can make a decent
    quality kitchen look ****!

Very much so, and a **** kitchen installed by a **** fitter - oh dear :)

16. redhotbot1

redhotbot1 New Member

yep B&Q are crappy like there bananna bowed laminate flooring. walk away if a customer buys the cheap stuff or charge them double!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Fezza

Fezza New Member

My in-laws are about to buy kitchen from either Ikea of B&Q, I take it that it’s not a good idea. If so where would you advise them to get a reasonably priced kitchen? They don't want all the bells and whistles just a nice laminate top and lightwood doors that type of thing.

Fezza

18. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Wickes do a good range (not the take away ones) and offer a free planning service with 3D views of your finished kitchen. Have had four of their kitchens, and order arrived complete, with no parts missing or damaged, every time.

BB

19. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member