spirit levels

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by STGO, Oct 30, 2006.

1. STGO

STGO New Member

hello, just a quicky.
    what length levels do all use?
    mine is a 1800mm, i have just seen a 3000mm one! now i want one.
    but will i be able to use it a lot???
    methinks i will buy it anyway

2. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

You can almost guarantee that if you get one, all the kitchen jobs you get from now on will be 2.5x2.9m rooms!!!

Be a bit of a tw@ to carry round, too!

I have a 48" and a 24" which are the main ones I use. I also have a 36", but I hardly ever get that out, and I did have 2 12" levels, but I appear to have lost both of them over the past few months. Keep meaning to replace them, but not got round to it yet.

I keep trying to convince myself that I need a couple of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/product-BMI-Kitchen-Fitters-Level-377239.htm

3. STGO

STGO New Member

You can almost guarantee that if you get one, all the
    kitchen jobs you get from now on will be 2.5x2.9m
    rooms!!!

yep, you are probably right.
    wont bother just yet

4. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

The Bosch one is better as it can be set to beep at horizontal and vertical levels.

Shedmen

5. JOCK 2004

JOCK 2004 New Member

Hi STGO
    I appear to have a selection of levels 2 x 300mm stabila,
    1 x 1200mm stabila, 2 x 1800mm stabila and my baby a 2100mm stabila that extends to 3170mm. The largest level is very useful for ensuring levels are perfect diagonally. But some fitters use laser levels IMHO I think set up time would do my head in.....

6. loosenup

loosenup Member

I have 2 1200mm levels a 600mm and an 1800mm which i use mostly for straight lining cabs.. I also have a laser level.
    Oh yeah and a eye level.
    Phill

7. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Forgot to mention earlier - I have a couple of A levels too. :)

8. STGO

STGO New Member

you guys crack me up, well done.
    i`ve probably got about half a dosen odd levels aswell, but the one i love is the six footer, always gets a gasp from the lady of the house when i get it out, ;)
    but just saw this 3 metre jobby and thought, do i need (want) one of thoses

9. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

I too have amassive 6 footer, but I now never take it out of its little trouser. Its just too big .Another one I have which is really useful is a magnetic, light up small level. great for fridges, washing machines etc.and for small dark places.

10. I've half a dozen Stabilas, 1.8m, 1.2m(2), 600mm, 300(2), but damned if I can find the short ones, probably in the same place as all my odd socks ;)

Love the big one, makes setting up strings of units simple and bridging across the width of kitchens, even gets used as a straight edge for my router

11. Bodgem

Bodgem New Member

Might be a bit novel, but as a DIYer I used a length of clear plastic pipe filled with water to set my levels. It extended easily up to ~18' and worked around corners, packs away easily and dropping it doesn't wreck it.

12. Boff

Boff New Member

Water levels are great but not usually necessary in a kitchen. Can't beat 'em though if you need to take a level round a corner etc.