Grout gaps & flex adhesive

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by ramsden, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ramsden

ramsden New Member

Hi,

I'm laying 30x30x11 marble tiles on an overlay ply floor.
    I've got 2 quick questions I'd appreciate your input on,..

1) What size grout lines should I leave? I'm not sure if this differs with the tiling conditions? IE. heavy marble tiles on ply overlay!

2) I have unibond rapid set flexible adhesive and evostik flexible 'all tiles' grout. I've heard everyone in this forum talk of various BAL and dunlop adhesives/grouts that are so good (and that I've never seen or heard of before now!)... have I bought the wrong stuff?? And would you advise adding further flexible additives or is this not necessary?

I really want to get this right and I'll take everything back and rebuy if I have to. Cheers in advance everyone.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

3-4mm grout lines should do the job, I would go with 4mm myself.

One of the risks with marble and other light coloured natural stone is that grey adhesive can ghost through the tile and you risk seeing the pattern of your adhesive through the stone. You should be using a white adhesive so that this does not happen, I think the Unibond one is grey!!. BAL rapidset flexi is available in white and Aedex also do a suitable adhesive as well as a grout specifically for marble.

With a grout gap 4mm wide and 12mm deep make sure the grout you have is OK for this size joint, you really want a "wide joint" grout to avoid shrinkage as it dries.

Try some independant tile shops or Topps Tiles for BAl products.

Jason

3. ramsden

ramsden New Member

Thanks for that J. You taught me a few things there. I haven't seen BAL or Aedex in Wickes or the DIY shops near me. I'll check Topps.
    Cheers.

4. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

Get yourself a trade account with topps first, as you will get 50% off the price of all the adhesives and grouts.....and around 10-15% off their tiles too....