Laminate flooring for worktop?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Inge Jones, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Inge Jones

Inge Jones New Member

I am fitting my own kitchen and have a problem in that I can't possibly lift normal worktops or even carry them into the kitchen when they have been delivered. In my last house I got round this by making the worktop up of several smaller boards, and covering the whole lot with tiles. I didn't like that because it was hard to wipe crumbs off, they kept getting trapped in the grout lines.

So I wondered what if instead of tiles, I topped the surface with flooring laminate? I can stick the pieces together with waterproof glue. The only thing I can think of against it is the joins getting water into them. But is the surface unsuitable for other reasons?

2. gint

gint Member

just make sure you put a mat well in so you can wipe your feet before stepping into the sink

3. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

use 28mm and have them delivered onto trestles cut them up there and unless you have a long length you can the carry them.

4. Stretch

Stretch Member

I have never heard of anything so stupid. Why not fit the kitchen then sub the worktops out to someone who's got a bit of strength in their arms.

5. Inge Jones

Inge Jones New Member

One piece I need is 3m in one length. I know I can't do it, I have tried before. This will be my 3rd whole kitchen I have fitted from scratch (plumbing electrics the lot) and so I know my limits now.

It would be lovely to get someone to fit them but I have no luck getting builders in this area, especially for anything less than an entire 30k project. You can get loft conversions done alright!

So what is actually wrong with laminate flooring on worktops other than it being incredibly unusual?

6. cosworth

cosworth New Member

It would be lovely to get someone to fit them but I
    have no luck getting builders in this area

no offence to anyone but builders- build!
    kitchen fitters do worktops.
    im sure a good fitter will not let you down on this.;)

7. STGO

STGO New Member

where are you jonesy?

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"So what is actually wrong with laminate flooring on worktops other than it being incredibly unusual"

Because you have to float it, you can't fix that much down.
    It will bow.
    It will gap
    It will flex causing the waterproof glue to fail, then it will absorb water and swell on the joints.

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Why not build your worktop and get some sheets of formica?

10. 2 a week

2 a week New Member

*** ARE YOU FOR REAL??
    ARE YOU FITTING THE KITCHEN ON THIS PLANET???

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Or you could cover it in matchsticks and varnish them like you do in jail ............... erm, not that ive been inside like, it's just someone was telling me about it.

12. cosworth

cosworth New Member

evening audi..

tut tut. hope you havent been a bad boy now.
    do they teach floor laying inside????
    hell of a lot cheaper than college im sure :^O

13. JJH

JJH Member

QUOTE: "This will be my 3rd whole kitchen I have fitted from scratch (plumbing electrics the lot) and so I know my limits now."

Why am I worrying so much about part P. corgi, regs etc...?

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Evening cos,
    like i said ive never been inside, i just happen to like sowing mailbags ;)

15. cosworth

cosworth New Member

i watched a programme about inside once, decided it wasnt for me..

gutted now tho because i didnt realise i could have brushed up on my sewing technique. :^O

16. Inge Jones

Inge Jones New Member

Don't panic! I know the law. I get a qualified Corgi fitter to make the gas connections and I have an electrician to test and certify my wiring.

Believe me I *do HAVE TO* do the work. I still can't get anyone interested in doing the floor tiling, and yes I have tried kitchen fitters now too, not just builders. Some of them come round and never send the quotes, others just say they're too busy to even look.

Anyway if I have to do the work myself, as a 54yr old woman with arthritis, who can't even visit a store to collect materials so I rely on what can be bought online. I can't always have the luxury of doing it the standard or best way. So many thanks to those of you who took my question seriously enough to actually answer with why the floor laminate would not be appropriate.

The formica idea is not a bad one, but I have not been able to source formica sheet online.

17. !!

!! Active Member

I have seen this done on a few kitchens that I have ripped out and it appeared to have quite durable.

I have fitted a few 10mm solid oak overlays which turned out well, the benefit of that was you can throw loads of oil, wax or varnish on it to keep it sealed.

I've found you some cheap 65mm x 10mm Merbau that might look nice http://www.hardwoodfloorstore.co.uk/solid_wood_floors/merbau_woodfloors.htm

18. JMH

JMH New Member

You say you can't find a kitchen fitter to do your worktops, where in the uk are you?. I would do a supply & fit or fit only on your worktops.

19. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

sounds like steptoe to me.harrrrold.

20. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Inge, yee a Muppet by the sounds of it!

Not suprised no-one wants to work for you! :^O