Buying Festool

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Tauruss, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Tauruss

Tauruss New Member

Hi

I am about to get my credit card out and hand it to my local Festool dealer. Planning to get the te55 saw and OF1400 router which I have read great things about on this forum. Not to mention having picked them up and had a fiddle with every time I go in for so much as a drill bit!
    As some of you will know Festool are pretty tight on prices and dealers can only offer significant discounts on accessories. So far a phone call has indicated I can expect a set of clamps for the track that comes with the saw thrown in.
    My question is.... what have your experiences been of getting accessory sweeteners and what other bits should I look at getting at the same time to get the best deal? A few have mentioned the additional 800 track...
    With Festool kit being so expensive I think it's our duty to get the best deal we can.

Thanks

Russ

2. Swinesheadchippi

Swinesheadchippi New Member

I got the TS55 four years ago, best bit of kit ever.Have just bought OF1400 Router,Bodygrip Jigsaw and CTL22 extractor. Recieved them 2 weeks ago been using them all on worktop jobs 3 days last week and 2 days this week. Must say I am so orgasmicly (is that a word?) happy with them its untrue!!
    Anyway back to the problem,got mine from West Skelston Services, Dumfries, arrived next day bearing in mind I live in Lincolnshire, great! Festool I believe only have deals at certain times, prices are just about the same at all dealers. However from West Skelston I finished up with 2 body warmers, guide rail adapters for the router, a cracking manual Festool screwdriver, and they threw in two packs of jigsaw blades (albeit Makita ones)as well as matching an Axminster Tools price deal on the extractor, all this with free delivery. Give them a try you may be suprised!

3. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

You can download the Festool price list as a PDF here: http://www.festool.co.uk/artikel/artikelweiterleiten.cfm?id=119

On the machines themselves, the best price you can expect to get is shown in the 'Trade Price' column. Only thing I've got cheaper is the TS55, where the trade price shown in the list is wrong.

On the accessories, I get 20% off the 'List Price' shown. My dealer reckons that's the maximum that dealers are allowed to give (he would say that though, wouldn't he?).

You probably won't get anything better than that, though if you're buying machines, just go for whatever accessories you want & try & get them thrown in!!!

4. Jonny Round Boy

Just noticed you're buying 2 machines -

I'd go in there & say you're interested in buying the saw only. Then, having got as many freebies as possible, suddenly 'notice' the router, and move on to that. Say you only came in for the saw, but the router looks good, too. But you can't possibly afford both right now.

The salesman will throw accessories at you if he thinks he can 'convince' you to buy both today!

Well, it's got to be worth a try....

5. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

The UK Festool distributor seems to control their retail prices very closely. You will generally find that all the internet retailers sell at list minus 20% and this will be matched by 'bricks & mortar' retailers. Many of the latter will throw in the odd consumable too if they scent a large order or a regular customer.

I get most of my Festool kit from a local toolshop from whom I also buy a lot of other stuff. He can't discount the Festool any further but gives me good prices on other stuff to reflect the overall level of business

In practice the price is generally non negotiable so choose your supplier based on service.

6. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger New Member

sorry guys but i always thought that festool are stupidly over priced for what you get, no argument they are amazing tools, i know someone who has them but 200 quid for a jig saw that doesn't do anything mor than the makita, with led light to eliminate shadows anyway good luck with the festool buying, just hope they dont get nicked out of the back of your van!

7. Tauruss

Tauruss New Member

Thanks guys for the advice.

Good point Jonny Round Boy about only showing interest in one item, I'll try that.
    Stickyfinger, I work from an estate car and never leave anything of value in it, besides that's what insurance is for.

Was also interested in other items you have found useful such as further track sections in addition the 1400 the saw comes with. Any useful bits for the router, chip catcher maybe? Basically anything I'm likely to need once I have bought it and can get discounted buying it at the same time.

Thanks

Russ

8. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger New Member

its stiNkyfinger, anyway i'll be surprised if your insurance covers tools as many insurers wont insure these items, however sorry for the assuming you had a van, the point i was trying to make was that you can buy two makita's for the price of one festool. but to be honest if i was rolling in it i'd have the festool.

9. Tauruss

Tauruss New Member

Sorry Stinky

I take your point on Makita particularly as they make up most of my kit. Not about to change it all over to Festool but there are a few tools they make that seem to warrant the expense.
    Over the years when buying and replacing tools I have always moved up to better gear and have yet to regret it. Part of the reason I do this work is for the enjoyment of using quality tools to do an ever improving job and take on new challenges.

Got tool cover with my liability insurance.

Could I interest you in my Makita 190mm saw?

Russ

10. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger New Member

thanks for the offer russ but i have everything i need at the mo, i might however know sombody who is reply with the details, oh and take alook at my post in the "screwfix" forum.

11. ­

­ New Member

> Was also interested in other items you have found
    useful such as further track sections in addition the
    1400 the saw comes with. Any useful bits for the
    router, chip catcher maybe? Basically anything I'm
    likely to need once I have bought it and can get
    discounted buying it at the same time.

Thanks

Russ

We recently bought a new Festool TS55 kit with FS 1400/2 Guide Rail, HW Fine Tooth Saw Blade Z48, Splinterguard and Systainer box for £303 + vat from a local Festool dealer.

We also bought another 1400 guide rail (£50.13) and a pair of guide rail joiners (£12.86 for 2)so we can make a 2800 guide rail. Last but not least we got a pair of Festool clamps (14.87)for the guide rail, not essential but reassuring on certain sheet materials if very slippery.

These are the main accessories I think anyone would need.

12. Tauruss

Tauruss New Member

Thanks verycleverman, just the help I was looking for. I'll be getting it all next week. Just need to run it by the missus!

Russ

13. Ricicle

Ricicle New Member

Good luck with the misses, mine thinks I spend more time with my Festool than with her!!!!!!!

14. Jonny Round Boy

Tauruss, How did you get on?

15. Tauruss

Tauruss New Member

Hi Jonny Round Boy

Nice of you to ask.
    I got it!
    Went to 3 stores in all before getting the card out and there was quite a difference in prices. My first port of call was a tool store in Croydon and I reckon I just spoke to the wrong salesman. Didn't know much about Festool and when he went off to deal with my requests or other matters, guys from out the back would appear and ask if I was okay/being served, one guy twice! For Saw, Router, extra track, bag, clamps, stops, router track adaptor and track joiners....£915
    Second store near Croydon, young guy, enthusiastic and fairly knowledgeable... £850
    Finally Toucan Tools, Leyton, East London. Happy to mention them by name as this is where I bought it all and have bought a number of other items including the CT22 extractor.
    The guy that served me knew his stuff and I reckon they must sell quite a lot of Festool as he knew the prices and just what he could throw in or reduce... tried your idea Jonny only asking at first about the saw, got the router track adaptor thrown in....£800 the lot. He even did me a load of Titman worktop cutters at £10 each.

As for the Saw and Router, I'm overflowing with things I want to write in their praise. Electric brakes, accuracy and ease using the track, plunge cut for worktop cut outs, a cut so clean you don't need to use a router for finished ends and the router just breezes through worktops. All in all a real pleasure to use, everything seems so well engineered and designed right down to the strap on the track bag which fits perfectly on your back/shoulder.

Just wish I had bought it sooner so I wouldn't be loosing money on the tools I'm selling off that I no longer need.

Not sure who said this first but it made me laugh..... Festool, more addictive than cocaine and just as expensive!

So... if your thinking of becoming an addict chose your dealer carefully.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Russ