starting out

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ben361, May 3, 2007.

1. ben361

ben361 New Member

I've been working for a local kitchen fitter for 8 months & am now setting up on my own - after he swindled me out of my pay.

Can anyone tell me what I should be charging for the materials and what I should charge for labour? I know my old boss got discounts from Magnet and Howdens and he didn't always tell the customer about it - but I don't know what he charged as he never involved me with the numbers.

Any help anyone can give me is much appreciated!

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Read other posts about pricing. Ultimately only you can decide what to charge.

You need to cover your costs, make a wage and invest in your business.

How much depends on where you live ( London and the South have far higher prices than more northern areas for example) what overheads you have, how skilled you are, what end of the market you are pitching at etc , etc.

Sit down and work out what you need to charge and then start submitting quotes based on your estimates. If you are too cheap you may get lots of work but make little profit, so put your prices up. If you are too expensive you will have no work. Customers make decisions on many other factors apart from price so make sure everything else about you is professional.

As far as materials go find out what discount you can get - by asking the suppliers directly. Look at the difference between your prices and retail - don't be too greedy starting out as you will never get going.

Finally get some local pros in to " quote you for fitting a new kitchen" and see how much people in your area are charging. Vist B&Q, MFI etc and get quotes from them.

Remember -there is no right or wrong price - only what you want to charge is the right price for you.

All the best.

3. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

Bear in mind that as you are going to be charging nearer £200 a day than £100, and if you are going to be supplying materials as well, you are definitely going to be over the VAT limit, which I believe is currently £61,000 pa.
    If you want to avoid that then you will have to let the customers buy the stuff, and you just charge them for labour.
    As there in no input tax to reclaim on your labour, being VAT registered means that you suddenly got 17.5% more expensive!

4. STGO

STGO New Member

kitcheneer is right mate, believe me its a lot harder on this side of the fence price wise. Maybe do like he says then build up from there,
    Good luck mate