laminate floor underlay

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by peajay, Jun 19, 2007.

1. peajay

peajay Member

I am about to put down laminate flooring in a bedroom. The height difference including the underlay is about 11 mm higher than the bathroom which has new cushion flooring, will a flooring strip in the doorway cover this difference OK. I am using 7 mm fiber board underlay to deaden the noise, is this likely to give a better performance than the 2 mm foam ?

2. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Hi,
    You require a transition strip, rather than a threshold strip. A Transition strip allows two floors of different levels to be joined. It allows (upto 21mm) a higher floor to be levelled with another.

Hope this helps.
    Joiner-Sim
    http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork

3. flying sctsman

flying sctsman New Member

4. maxply45

maxply45 New Member

Is using fibre underlay in a bathroom a good idea, i'd probably go for one of the plastic types.

5. peajay

peajay Member

I don't have underlay or laminate in the bathroom I have vinyl flooring but it is the transition with the bedroom that gives the height difference

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Use tredaire boardwalk underlay this will be 4mm less than fibre board and out perform it by a country mile and make it easier to find a suitable transition strip, ie: the most commonly used, 7mm > 0mm.

7. HudsonCarpentry

HudsonCarpentry New Member

Is using fibre underlay in a bathroom a good idea,
    i'd probably go for one of the plastic types.

Is using laminate at all in the bathroom a good ideas!!

8. maxply45

maxply45 New Member

Is using laminate at all in the bathroom a good ideas!!

I don't and wouldn't.

9. britishblue

britishblue New Member

paejay, I don't know why people don't read posts with any care. Your post was absolutely crystal clear, yet maxply45 and HudsonCarpentry have their own versions.

BB

10. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Must be dislexia, meant peajay not paejay.

BB

11. maxply45

maxply45 New Member

paejay, I don't know why people don't read posts with any care. Your post was absolutely crystal clear, yet maxply45 and HudsonCarpentry have their own versions. <<<

Ne-Nahhh, Ne-Nahhh, Ne-Nahhh, watch out the off-topic police are about.

Not exactly off topic, if a different underlay or an alternative to laminate is used then the height will be different.

I've used laminate in a bathroom, using the non-fibre underlay, and it had to be replaced after 2 1/2 years. I'm just trying to give the benefit of my own experience, in my mind use either tiles or quality lino and if you've kids in the house, lino every time.

Ne-Nahhh, Ne-Nahhh, Ne-Nahhh, Ne-Na....................

12. britishblue

britishblue New Member

maxply45, you didn't read his post.

He said "the bathroom which has new cushion flooring". He wasn't suggesting laminate for the bathroom.

Then he said "I am about to put down laminate flooring in a bedroom".

Then you reply "Is using fibre underlay in a bathroom a good idea, i'd probably go for one of the plastic types"

BB

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"and it had to be replaced after 2 1/2 years"

but laminate only costs tuppence so 2 1/2 years is fair enough!

14. HudsonCarpentry

Im sorry i was only taking the p**s out of something that was said about underlay for laminate in the bathroom.

didn't have any advice on the OP's original question as it had alreay been covered.

15. HudsonCarpentry

why am i saying sorry... sorry to go off topic again...

16. maxply45

maxply45 New Member

Apologies British, must get these goggles fixed.

17. lojo

lojo New Member

hudson "Is using laminate at all in the bathroom a good ideas!!"

I would not recommend it to a customer BUT;

I put a fairly standard MR laminate in my own bathroom as I had a few packs spare and wanted something to see us through until I was ready to refurbish the room properly.

Its now been down 3 years with 2 kids splashing bathwater on it everyday and it has no signs of any problems

18. lojo

lojo New Member

in reply to the thread

thicker felt is always better than 2mm foam, unless height is an issue

as others must have said, threshold ramps are avalible to overcome differing floor heights