Natural stone cutting

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by leechy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

In the process of fitting a kitchen and am at the point of laying the floor tiles. Problem is that the customer did'nt want to tile the entire floor as a I advised prior to fitting the kitchen.

This would have made the job easier as the carcases have a decor panel which comes to floor level. Now I have to cut the tiles around these which means a lot of cutting. Not a problem until they chose natural slate tiles which are large rectangles to be layed in a brick pattern.

Any tips? should I trim the decor panels so I can slide the tiles under or cut the tiles around?

Cheers

2. T482.

T482. New Member

> Problem is that the
    customer did'nt want to tile the entire floor as a I
    advised prior to fitting the kitchen.

..tiling the complete floor was the correct advice..you should've been more assertive..;)

3. leechy

leechy New Member

Came doen to money I obviously saved them enough to afford natural stone though!!

4. I'd be tempted to take off the end panels, tile and then scribe the panels.

Always looks better with no grout line against the panels.

I assume you've got a tile saw and that you're planning to seal the tiles before grouting

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

All very well taking of the end panels,and tiling............ but not if its un-honed slate.

If it is......just wet cut around

6. leechy

leechy New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I thought about taking of the panels but they are sandwiched between carcases so not an option.

They are un honed tiles and differ in thickness by as much as 6mm. Was a pig to lay but I was surprised how easy they cut with my wet saw. I will se sealing them tomorrow prior to grouting and then a final seal after.

Thanks again.