Non corgis playing with gas(death)

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by KING_DIY'ER, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

When I did the assesments earlier this year we had to carry out tightness, let by etc. on every assesment. Previously with the ACOPs I didn't have to, mind you when you see someone who has passed CCN1 struggling to carry out a flue flow test on a CF boiler it does make you wonder if it is necessary. There excuse was that they never fit any OF appliances so didn't need to do it normally. Perhaps there should be a seperate category for OF and BF appliances as alot of people never touch an OF appliance.

Mike

2. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Yeah - the whole match thing is showing off. It actually takes quite a concentration of gas within a room to cause an explosion - certainly the smell would be very strong b4 it was dangerous.

Reminds me of a funny story - I used to work at Zeneca Pharmaceuticals in Manchester. Now each year they got in a few university research students to do some work on site for experience. One year they had a chap working with thiols. Very very smelly so he used a fume cupboard. During the course of his experiment he vapourised 1g of this substance into the atmosphere - where did it go - Manchester sky of course. It just so happened that this substance happened to smell just the same as the thiol that is put into gas to make it smell. It stinks at 1-2 parts per billion. 1g!!!! For 2 miles in each direction of the site, people were phoning British Gas up about a leak - the emergency services phone lines were jammed - flashing lights everywhere - then someone thought to check out Zeneca and the guilty person was caught.

He didn't stay there much longer afterwards!

3. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Me, I'm someone who has renovated several properties. I do wiring and plumbing and gas pipework - but NEVER would I connect gas without professional inspection and test. Electricity is dangerous and can kill you - but gas can kill your neighbours as well!!

4. Merlin

Merlin New Member

Nice to see it explained,just wish the Ex would realize how dangerous unqualified gas fitting is as she had her uncle fit a full C/H system & with my 2 boys living with her, mmmmmmm.
    I told her how dangerous it is & i was told to to stop being so childish, wonder if she'll think like that if it blows the house up, hopefully when she's not in it with my 2 son's.
    PS. can i mention it to anyone without her knowing i said something to someone, cos ya know how Ex's can be !

5. andee

andee New Member

I have installed a number of gas appliances, and am not corgi registered, but had no problems (apart from it being illegal...) Granted, I may do more DIY than the average person, and so that is perhaps why I have not blown anybody up yet. How much time/effort/money does it require to become corgi registed if you already have a knowledge of pipework and pressure testing etc?

6. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

It takes a lot of time and money, but you would be unable to gain Corgi registration as you have to prove that you work in the Industry