Unusual worktop mitre

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ­, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ­

­ New Member

No, 'tis true. How can a worktop shop <u>not</u> know all this? That's ALL they do all day.

2. murrmac

murrmac Member

I know you are at the wind-up, but I will bite anyway.

It is impossible for two postformed edges to conjoin "perfectly" unless they are both cut at an angle which exactly bisects the included angle when they are fitted together.

this is a basic fact of geometry, an eternal truth, an axiom, a given, no exception.

however, albeit less than perfect, you may well be happy with the quality of the joint in an office environment, perfection is sometimes not worth pursuing ...

3. tea_time

tea_time New Member

In defense of everyone who offered there advice and the shop who told you.

usually what everyone is saying including myself about bisecting the angle will determine the best fit possible,
    however... the important thing we all didn't ask was, what profile are/were these tops?
    if they are a very flat postform the fit will appear to be very good on an internal join like this one, the real errors would be shown on an external join.
    in this case it would appear you have achive'd your goal,
    but i guarantee you wouldn't get the same results with a bull nosed/half round profile because the curvature increases in length.
    (proven by the fact you have to trim the back of the board to maintain the same width of board, yes i understand that was caused by the circumstances to cause the initial problem).

4. tea_time

tea_time New Member

did a sample/test of the situation on some off cut with a half round profile one piece at 90* (degree) the other at 22* giving the combined angle you discribe as 158 degrees.
    yes the fit was good, very good infact. even with this extreme profile.

5. tea_time

tea_time New Member

6. ­

­ New Member

> did a sample/test of the situation on some off cut
    with a half round profile one piece at 90* (degree)
    the other at 22* giving the combined angle you
    discribe as 158 degrees.
    yes the fit was good, very good infact. even with
    this extreme profile.

My point exactly. This isn't a wind up, it's a job we're doing. We will now just buy a 4100 x 900 blank, postformed laminated worktop and cut it all ourselves. Even with all the wastage, it's less than half the price of the worktop shop attempting it (who still claim it can't be done).

7. tea_time

tea_time New Member

however, if the board has a pattern thats needing the best cosmetic look, bisecting the angle is still the correct way of doing it. If the board has a plain or pattern which is random, then the join would be lost without the pattern drawing your eyes to it.
    In your specific case, butting upto an existing top where you need to trim the back of the board this would keep the profile required.