Opinion on cutting a sqaure out of tile

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by greeko33, Jul 22, 2008.

1. greeko33

greeko33 New Member

Now i'm not sure if this is possible or easy hence why I hope you experienced lot can add your thoughts.

I'm looking to cut some wall tiles to go around souckets outlets in my kitchen. The squares are required to match the 1 and 2 gang boxes.

I'm not proposing to cut a square out of the centre of a tile but to take out a rectangular shape off the side.

This would therefore mean 3 cuts to be made.

I was thinking of cutting the 2 parallel lines with a tile cutter and then score the remaining line and try and break/pinch the excess off.

Does anyone else have a better idea. I'm not looking to spend more than £100 on tools for the job FYI.

Any thoughts appreciated

2. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

Do as you say then cut about another five parallel lines and knock out the 'fingers' you've created. Job done.

3. greeko33

greeko33 New Member

Cheers Steve,

Its good to have a second opinion on the matter

I will attempt to score the final cut with a decent cutter like the Rubi range.

4. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

As steve said, however I do cut more than 5 strips. Then either use you nippers to snap the fingers of or if you have a good tile cutter (wet) you can uses this to knock them out.

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i keep a plasplug tile cutter (machine type) on the van for such cuts with the blade guard removed you can lower the tile onto the cutting wheel and come right through :)

6. greeko33

greeko33 New Member

Interesting replies, thanks

I found this guide on the plasplugs site which seems to agree with the method of taking the guard off.

I'm now off to buy a cheap wet cutter (any recommendations?) and the rubit T50S

7. greeko33

greeko33 New Member

8. debit cruncher

i keep a plasplug tile cutter (machine type) on the
    van for such cuts with the blade guard removed you
    can lower the tile onto the cutting wheel and come
    right through :)

yeah thats the best way for cutting a square out of the middle of a tile. Can take a bit of practice for a novice.

9. debit cruncher

Interesting replies, thanks

I found this guide on the plasplugs site which seems
    to agree with the method of taking the guard off.

I'm now off to buy a cheap wet cutter (any
    recommendations?) and the rubit T50S

Plasplu are ok for wet cutting, and cheap, but if you can push the boat out on a TS50+ for you rubi you will be better of for future jobs. ;)

10. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I usually cut the straight cuts from the side with a wet cutter then use a tile saw to cut between the two. Easy Peasy.

11. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

I never use anything that doesnt hava plug or battery! :)

12. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

The Wifes the same ;)

13. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

The Wifes the same ;)

Good one :)

14. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

15. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

16. alcutler

alcutler Member

I get good results with an angle gringer with a thin diamond blade fitted carefully cut as much as you can out then nibble out the rest