connecting the hob and extractor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by headsup, Jan 28, 2004.

1. headsup

headsup New Member

Is it ok to wire the gas hob and extractor into the oven outlet? Its not a problem to me that all have to be switched off if only one needed to.

oven is 2.4kw
    extractor is 250w
    hob is gas so igniter only

rcb is 40amp so should easily could take it.
    Just dont want to bother with fsu's nd spurs if i dont have to.

Second i had a plumber out to connect my hob to the gas and he said that a rubber pipe/hose (which i have) is not allowed for a fixed (built in) appliance. That it must be copper pipe to the unit. It makes sense to me but 'funny' thing is that i've had a flex connecting my hob in the previous 2 places i lived. So I could help wondering if he just tried to get some more money off me!? Know its not a sparky q but u guys shed light on many things.

Thx

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

No, you need to use an FCU.
    The FCU will then provide protection for the little cable going to the fan and the hob.
    if a fault developed on the fan or hob then it would have to pull 40A before it would trip the breaker.
    40A fault current would fry the little cables to the hob and fan and cause a fire.
    So fit and FCU with a smaller fuze to protect the cable and equipment from the nasty 40A

3. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

the best way to do it would be as cb said, put a fused connection unit on it to feed the extractor, But as for the oven and hob, why not put a double socket on the end of the cooker cable then you can plug the hob and oven into it and they are both fused down , then run out the back of the socket to the FCU and onto the extractor.

hope this helps

Nick

4. headsup

headsup New Member

Of course! Nice and easy piecy! Thanks

5. digger

digger Guest

The plumber type fella, was telling you to put copper to the hob for safety, the old way was to use a rubber pipe ,but those days are gone

6. headsup2

headsup2 New Member

Know I said easy piece but still just want to be sure.

Can I wire a four socket extention to the cooker supply and connect
    hob, oven, extractor and under unit ligthing all with their own fused 5/1amp, 13amp, 5amp, and 5/1amp plugs?

7. mj

mj Guest

gas hob should have 3 amp fuse !
    any corgi reg plumb should have told you that

8. headsup2

headsup2 New Member

other than that ok!?

9. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Just check that any rubber hose you use for conveying gas is rated for gas. Some stuff is so porous that methane can attack the inner hose. Gas hose is usually lined with an inert material which is resistant to chemical attack. The other thing is to ensure that the hose is reinforced to stop kinking and mechanical damage.
    In short - Talk to a plumber who knows his hose:)

10. headsup2

headsup2 New Member

already got it coppered. never quite understood that a hose was fine. thx!

11. screwandfix

screwandfix New Member

i had a rubber hose and i used it to allow methane to escape from my bed at night (when i farted)
    it actually caught fire when my wife tried to make it join the blue flame club
    was going to use copper but it hurt my bum hole.
    aww well back to the butt plug and distended stomach then