Tiling over tiles.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Dyke Pullover, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

I had a enquiry for 10 square meters of tiling for a hallway and the customer requested tiling on top of existing tiles. Would you recommend this? I was reluctant to agree as I felt that with so much use it wouldn't be any good.

2. I wouldnt personally for how long it takes to prepare and do it properly. I would of thought you would get issues at doorways etc with the heights too.

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

wat is the exisiting substrate????..wat tiles r u puttin on ...think off the weight issue here mate..wont advise it myself better safe than sorry..explain 2 client this.. wat addy would u use NOT tubbed would hav 2 b bagged.. primer??

4. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

as long as the tiles are secure,i would suggest you fit ditra matting on top of the existing tiles with an acrylic adhesive,(vinyl flooring adhesive),it will add no more than 3-5mm to height of floor,this product is superb,it will never come up if installed this way,read on the website about its properties and how it works
    let me know how you go on...as a professional tiling contractor ive done 1000s sq mtrs on projects through the uk..its the best solution to difficult situations...ive never been back to problem jobs when its been installed.

5. loz,

Doubt it's something I would do, unless the existing floor was concrete.

Height as mentioned, would be a pain.

6. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

BONNYTILER, whats this acrylic adhesive you use, I thought only single part flexi was a suitable adhesive for ditra and other mattings? And do you use the same adhesive when going over wooden floors.

7. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

hello steve

single partflex adhesive is ok on concrete/ditra floor application....to put it between an existing tiled floor and ditra matting i wouldnt reccomend....the surface is to smooth and shiny for the ditra to get a strong enough key to the surface,i find the acrylic adhesive sticks like sh@t to a blanket and once its set ,,you will find it virtually impossible to remove the matting from the floor or your hand,,,wear some gloves!!!!!
    i usually use get the acylic adhesive from my local walkwell flooring supplies,
    like you mentioned also use it on wooden flooring too!!
    so much easier than messing around with ply etc
    the only other adhesive i use on floors with problem movement would be BAL FLEX 2 part adhesive...although topps tiles do a better priced product for half the price!!

8. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

Styccobond F3 made by BALL adhesives
    its good stuff,i use a 6mm notch trowel to spread it,plenty on floor then roll ditra on top,push outwards from the middle to the edge to remove all air bubbles.
    hope that helps...

9. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

10. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

Cheers for the info BONNY, think I'll try that. My supplier has the Durabase flooring, similar to ditra, main difference is that its yellow instead of orange! But it does have the fiber backing same as ditra, so I'll use the acrylic adhesive when it comes to it next time.

Regarding the Topps 2 part, just used some on Tuesday. Couldn't believe I got a large tub of it for £17.50. And I didn't notice any difference between it and FastFlex or Dunlop TileonWood. Topps have suddenly gone up in my opinion, I like their standard non flexi adhesive too, especially for about £7 a bag.