Wall Heater

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hondabird, Feb 16, 2004.

1. hondabird

hondabird New Member

I have a small wall heater in the airing cupboard wired to a FSU. Can this FSU be changed for a socket so that a plug in timer can be plugged in then plug the heater to the timer so that it doesn't have to be on 24/7.

2. The Trician

The Trician New Member

What's the rating of the heater? What size cable is feeding the FCU? If the heater is 3KW I'd say no - not on a 13A plug head - they run warm at this rating. Better sticking with an FCU if this is the case.

3. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Thanks for the swift reply. The heater doesn't have a rating plate on it and the flex into the FSU is not pvc coated but is material like (probably as old as the hills)

Any suggestions on what type of heater to replace it so that I could put a plug in timer in

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Depends on the size of airing cupboard but go for a heater rated at less than 3KW to be on the safe side.

5. goodsparks

goodsparks New Member

Well, it all down to where your airing cupboard is and the rating of your heater.
    If your cupboard is in the bathroom then no, you can`t as the socket outlet could be used (by some un suspecting muppet) to supply portably equipment within the bathroom. (Tv in the shower, plug in razor in the bath, lol etc)
    If the cupboard isn`t in the bathroom, the heater is less than 3kw then yea you could. Several wholsalers supply sfcu`s with timers built in, this is always the safest bet with high current using equipment as it eliminates the risk of contacts arcing and overheating on dirty plugtops or micky mouse, screwfix own, single pole switched, socket outlets.

Paul

6. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Sorry better clarify above the wire from the heater to the fsu is material coated. I would think the max size heater required would be 2Kw

7. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Thanks Paul
    Could you point me in the direction of these sfcu's with built in timers please.

8. goodsparks

goodsparks New Member

9. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Thanks a lot Paul We have a TLC where I am so will call in tomorrow.

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

2 - 3kW inside an airing cupboard of what - 2 cu m?

That'd be an oven, wouldn't it?

What about a thermostat - then the heater would come on when required, rather than at particular times.

11. hondabird

hondabird New Member

Thanks BAS

I have gone for a 1.5kw with thermostat which I must admit is the better option. I dont know who fitted the original heater, the wiring inside was lethal.