Reasonable quote?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gaz3105, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gaz3105

gaz3105 New Member

Hi guys,

The trouble and strife wants the kitchen and hallway floor tiling, which is way beyond my measly skills.

It is about 18 square metres total, on concrete, and she wants underfloor electric heating laying down also. I shall be buying the ceramic tiles and heating mats. How long would a job like that take, and what do you think is a reasonable quote for labour only?
    PS I am in North East Lincs

Cheers

2. tic tic

tic tic New Member

who is supplying the spf addy an grout..will u b wanting insulation boards down or slc???:) try calling a few tilers round for quotes mate:)...then take it from ther:)

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

its hard 2 price a job without seeing it mate:)but up ere i would b charging about..20-25 m2.. thats without installation of heating mats.. for heating mats u will still need a spark to get it connected after installed..so again price would vary..

4. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

£20 to £30 sounds a reasonable rate inc grout and adhesive......then a seperate daywork rate for matting and laying boards etc....sparky to wire and test it before you lay the tiles.......

5. BONNYTILER

BONNYTILER New Member

id say it'll take about 4 to 5 days max for the full project and materials used......unless you have the stovax victorian tiles in your hallway.......then id say....4 or 5 weeks.....lol!!!!!!

6. gaz3105

gaz3105 New Member

Thanks guys.

Yes, I shall be buying the insulating material myself - tiler only to supply grout and adhesives.

Slight problem is that i'm not sure the floor has enough depth to fit proper 6mm insulating board underneath the heating mats. I've seen something on tinternet called therma-coat, which is an "acrylic insulating primer" which apparently just paints on to the concrete floor and provides sufficient insulation. If anyone has any experience of this stuff I'd be glad to hear your opinions of it?

Cheers

7. tic tic

tic tic New Member

is this not the same primer u get with the warmup heating system.. green in colour.. if so stinks like hell mate so get the wife an kids out the house 1st an any pets ..windows open 2...just pour in on an then use a rollor drys in about an hour or 2..dont know about straight on to concrete tho?? imo the concrtete would absorb a lot of the heat thus ur heating time will be longer..:) someone else might b a long shortly with more info mate:)

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Get the tiler to supply everything.

1. He should be able to get a better price.

2. If it goes ****-Up then it is clear who supplied all the materials too.

9. Good advice from Hotdog, let the tiler source it all. then no issues if it goes wrong.

If there is a problem them no argument who has to resolve it.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I agree, I would not fit for someone who wants to supply HALF the materials - 'tis a recipe for confusion....

11. tic tic

tic tic New Member

got 2 disagree there lads :) on 99% of domestic work client only has tiles so tiler usually supplies good quality addy an grout..thus this being HALF of material..:)...only get a * up if ur tiler isn"t up 2 the job usually a 6-9 week courser in over their head imo..:)

for ufh u can only advise client on this an hopefully they take ur input on this...as there is lots of different materials on the market..

[Edited by: admin]

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

Or, the cheapskate has under-quoted and uses rubbish addy

13. tic tic

tic tic New Member

again imran thats down 2 the tiler not havin a clue wat their doing.:)been on many a job were the client has just tiles or maybe grout as well but no addy..sealer if needed?..slc needed?..maybe pb?..b.boards?list can go on but i aint walking from the job :) monies money at end of day:)

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

I know. Just right now there's a lot of siteys low-balling. I always make a point of quoting for addy and grout as separate items - then the customer can figure whether they want a good job or a cheap job.

15. Tic-tic, no problem with clients who supply tiles, most usually do, its when they start messing around with insulation or slc, heating mats and so on.

I always insisted on supplying everything but the tiles, and even then I'd prefer to supply them(but then who wouldn't). That way you have control and responsibilty for everything.

Imagine the senario, floor finished, ufh doesn't work, sparky comes along, test shows break in the mat, who has responsibility.

With every job I finished I kept a note of the lot numbers of the addy and grout that I used, and a note to say where and when bought, never had to use the info but you never know.