seals for new tails

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by andyspark, Feb 20, 2004.

1. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

I think everyone agrees that it is ok for a leccy to cut the seal on the fuse for isolation purposes when fitting a new consumer unit. But what about the cover over the tails from the meter?
    Most new consumer unit jobs require new tails. The cover over the tails at the meter end is usually fitted with a seal. Does everyone out there cut this seal too?

(I am not talking about the meter seal here.)

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

3. MICC

MICC Member

By the dozen!

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Naughty-naughty :)
    Look, get the customer/client to ask their SA,that way there's no come-back BUT... If you don't get any joy, then cut-cut away.......

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

cut away anyway, supply company arround here are ****
    they once had a slow fault on an under ground cable up the road from me that would blow a fuse at the sub every 2/3 days, and their soloution was to tell all the resedents to 'see if you can see smoke comming from the ground anyware, if you do, tell us'

i think that just about proves my point lol

ss

6. steve CF

steve CF New Member

if you do cut the seals , make sure you dispose of them properly don't leave them on the floor next to the meter as when the meter reader calls he could use the seals as evidence of cutting

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

lmao- i think them not being there will be evidance of cutting

ss

8. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Here's a solution for those people who need to pull their supply main fuse to replace their old fusebox.

If you are fortunate to have one of these installed....
    Ampy automation have brought out an Meter with Isolator.

There is a new type of meter, with a digital calculator like display, which has a built in isolator device, with a small window, which clearly shows the position of the contacts.

A round knob, turned by a screwdriver, moves the contacts on and off,

therefore allowing you to isolate the supply with ease, and without having to touch any seal at all.

The Ampy website is at

http://www.ampy.co.uk/product_selector/singlephase/index.htm

9. goodsparks

goodsparks New Member

All KWH meters have two seals, one for the terminations and one for the meter gubbins for calibaration etc, ultimately if you mess with the seals your in breach of the electricity supply regs and the consumers contract with the supplier.
    I reakon so long as you only cut the seal to the connections you would probably have a pretty good defence if you got caught, besides if your using 25mm2 tails theres no way there would be enough room in the terminals to install a shunt and bypass or defraud the meter???

Paul

10. Tommy Walsh

Tommy Walsh New Member

Is it not possible to acquire a tool and a few seals from the black market to do it yourself or if you know a meter installer maybe he could accidentally "lose" his tool and you "find" it thus putting it to good use!

11. MICC

MICC Member

Wash your mouth out tommy, what a thing to say.
    Electricians are a pillar of society!

12. Tommy Walsh

Tommy Walsh New Member

It's after the 9 o'clock watershed! I can say a lot more now!

13. The Trician

The Trician New Member

I'm having nowt to do with this :)

14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Seals are there to be broken! Just be aware, if you tighten those screws too tight, they snap. Just feel how loose the Elec Board leave them, guess they snapp on them aswell.

For those interested, you dont need to install a shunt cable to 'steal' lecky, there is a test link from the live in terminal to a small terminal which allows the meter to measure the supply volts, loosen this, and the meter will not turn! I only know this from private credit meters in caravans, and would not suggest to anyone to try it. For a start, your supplier WILL notice that you are not using as much lecky as you were the month before!

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

"Seals are there to be broken! Just be aware, if you tighten those screws too tight, they snap. Just feel how loose the Elec Board leave them, guess they snapp on them aswell."

yup, has happend to me aswell m8, blodey head split!!!!
    oh well...thank god it was a perminant job...it is now lol
    ~~~

ss

16. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

If everybody starting to fit Ampy Automation meters, with inbuilt isolators on them, no one will ever need break a seal again!

17. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yes I agree, so bust your existing meter and get 'The Board' out to fit Ampy!

:)

18. leeds spark

leeds spark New Member

way i deal with this is as follows,cut wire as close to eb seal as poss and set aside.After fitting new tails etc i then thread wire back through scew,crimp a blue thru crinp on other end and cut in half,then i cut off the blue insulation.Not perfect i know,but better than no seal at all.