How do you grout uneven "rustic" wall tiles ??

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by tph1, Sep 14, 2009.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

Hi all,

my dad has fitted a load of small (say 10cm square) rustic effect stone wall tiles in the kitchen and now does not know how best to grout them. Obviously the smooth, glossy tiles can easily be wiped clean, but these things have a natural stone finish and are uneven in just about every dimension, including thickness. What is the best way of grouting ?? (I have told him to get someone in BTW)

Thanks

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

just grout and clean as normal and you will end up with a "rustic" effect! which is what im guessing he was after or he wouldnt have bought rustic tiles. ;)

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

if stone tiles you may want to seal them as well.
    before grouting then after grout as cured.

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

good point TIC, are the tiles "stone" or are they ceramic stone effect?

5. tph1

tph1 Member

Thanks - I will check whether they are ceramic effect or stone. Notwithstanding that, any further ideas about the best way to grout ? Is it just "very carefully" ???

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

just grout and clean as normal and you will end up with a "rustic" effect! ;)

7. tph1

tph1 Member

Tocordornottocord? - When YOU say "rustic effect" do you mean it will look like it was done by a horse with Parkinsons ? :)

8. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O :^O :^O LOL

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

very good tph1, but i realy dont see what the worry is here, if you have uniform tiles you will get a uniform grout line, but if as you say the tiles are different widths with wavy edges and thickness variations then your grout lines will appear odd and non uniform! if there are dvots in the face of the tile then these will fill when you grout, if you want them grout free itsa case of rubbing a scouring pad over them after the grout has dried! simple really!